new to linux, need help

Discussion in 'Software' started by blade54015, Mar 27, 2012.

1. blade54015

blade54015 Private E-2

hey everyone, im glad to be here part of your forum :) um, I installed slackware to a laptop and LOVE it. But I can not seem to get the wireless card to work. I know I need the drivers for it..but I don't know the steps I need to take to get them to work with slackware. I have put on ndiswrapper on it to try to get it to work and still having problems, but I suspect im not using it correctly. Can anyone please offer any advice??? :)

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

blade54015, Welcome to MajorGeeks! :major

Did you plug in a ethernet cord while you tried to install the wireless?

I am going to presume since you installed Slackware you know something about Linux in general.

This page can help if you have Broadcom chipset.

To determine your chipset type this in a terminal window.
    Code:
    lspci -v
    Setup Wireless with Slackware12

The Official Slackware Help Forum is found here.

3. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

On your install media is a directory called /extra. Have a look in that directory if ndiswrapper fails for your wireless. For Slackware wireless set-up it is best if you do not set-up networking when you install Slackware. On the Slackware DVD in /extra is a program called wicd which will help you to set-up wireless. Navigate to the wicd directory within /extra and run #installpkg on the wicd package.

4. blade54015

blade54015 Private E-2

thank you all, ill try all thats been posted and come back and let you know how It worked :)

5. blade54015

blade54015 Private E-2

This was awesome help, even tho it don't say that it works...i found another site that said it would for what I need it for.
    This also seems to be a good package.
    no I didn't, I'm dual booting windows and have been running packages back and forth with usb...
    I am still however having problems and this is where I am.
    I still kinda think it may be a driver problem, and I really am pretty new to linux. Is there any more command to show that would give you more info you may need? I downloaded the 32bit wl, I was assuming it would be 32bit because I have a 32bit processor, did I assume wrong that thats what driver I should have installed???
    Thank you again for the previous help, I feel much further along than I was before.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds