Data disappeared from Hard Disk Drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by santorion, May 24, 2008.

1. santorion

santorion Private E-2

My computer operated windows XP sp2, and have 3 hard drives conntected
    1. HD 0 is 160 GB divided into 2 partiotions, one 20 GB containing the system the other 140 Gb containes data directories and film directories

2. HD 1 is 120 Gb connected through mobile rack and also contains data directories and film directories

3. HD 2 is 200 Gb connected through mobile rack and contains only film directories.

Untill thursday night everything was perfect, but when i I opened my computer friday morning i found the following

1. HD 0 second partition all film directories completly disappeared and the free space is 50 Gb instead of the original 40 Gb

2. Hd 1 all films directories disappeared and the free space is 99 instead of 11 Gb

3. HD 2 unaffected

i tried to search for the directories by windows seach function by they were not found.

i did system restore to wednesday, since i noticed that installed the program Deep Freeze on thursday, and the problem appeared after this.
    Now the directories and subfirectories all reappeared, but they are empty
    Any suggestions

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

you could try some file recovery application like this one Recuva to see if that will recover your files.

3. santorion

santorion Private E-2

Now i recovered almost all of my data, but i still do not know what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.
    Any suggestions

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Its possible that as this happened after the installation of Deep Freeze that that application and its protection did this, but I'm wildly guessing as I have not used this app to know of its safeguards put in place to stop any important user data being erased.

However I would say on "how to stop this happening again" is to make sure you have adiquate backups of your important data always on removable media ( DVD, CD, USB removable HD ) or secondary internal HD, as you knew know when the main drive may fail.

Glad you managed to recover most of your data.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds