Tipping in Scotland

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Sep 13, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Does anyone here know what the general tipping etiquette is in Scotland?

In the US, anyone in the service industry is tipped pretty generously. Waitstaff in particular get 15-20% added to the bill. They also do not make minimum wage, so you are essentially paying their wage.

I know tipping is less in Europe.

So what do you do in:

Restaurants
    At the bar at a pub
    At a table ordering food at a pub
    Taxis

I found this: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Is this true of Scotland?

2. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Yes, that web page sums it up nicely, the culture of United Kingdom currently includes Scotland. So, no tipping. Usually pay by card since cash is becoming a rarity these days.

Note, tipping is an ambiguous word as it also mean littering or disposing rubbish at the side of the road - both should be avoided.

I found it weird when I was visiting the States that there seems to be space on the check/bill for a tip or that tips are a courtesy. It didn't feed right since the impression is you've paid for the service, supplies, room or whatever that additional funds are required for whomever assists you. I wonder if people tip the staff at the payment tills in supermarkets like Walmart?

Remember to pack some warm clothes as it will be cold and windy in Scotland.

PS. If Scotland votes yes, I wonder what that'll mean for international travel and currency...

3. LauraR

Okay, so don't use the word 'tipping'. LOL

Thanks for the info!

Tips are pretty much required in the US if you sit down to a table to eat. As I mentioned, our waitstaff here are only paid $2-$4 an hour. Federal minimum wage I believe is is $7.25.

So yes, we tip 15%-20%...usually 20%.

Good, bad or indifferent, that's how it is here. For us, it's weird going places that do not tip for services. You feel really cheap or like you are cheating someone out of something. I just want to make sure I'm following what is customary.

You do not tip if you go to a counter (ie. Walmart, fast food places, grocery stores).

I have long pants and sweaters and a rain jacket, so hopefully, I'll be good.

I was wondering the same thing as far as the vote. We are going to get money out of the ATM as soon as we get into Edinburgh. I can't imagine anything will go into effect immediately, but the GBP may become cheaper for us.

4. EJB

EJB Corporal

We tip loose change....if the bill is £4.50 we say 'keep the change' from a £5 note.
    If the bill is £5 there is no change so no tip....unless the service was particularly pleasant then we might tip £1..... always 'loose change';)
    PS. If you are spending £100 on a meal etc then £5 or £10 would be very generous....from me anyway!!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Oh well theres a thing as being a brit or UKer, tipping is weird as its whatever you feel the service has been!

I think EJBs tips are a good guide for meals out etc, and I would tend to at a meal out leave £10 as a tip if service has been good. Wouldn't do that for a coffee at Starbucks TBH!

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I usually put a dollar bill or two, or all my loose change, in the tip jar at my favorite coffee place.

They know my name, my favorite drink, and throw in a special or two now and then just because. I pay the generosity back by adding to their tip jar when I can. Tit for tat, I suppose. :)

7. LauraR

You are very generous, then, Mims. I despise the practice of putting tip jars out on the counter of coffee places. As far as I'm concerned, they are over priced to begin with so includes the cost of labor of any drink I get.

We tipped probably generously for over there. Its hard to not do so when you are used to 20%. I'd say we probably did 10-15% and it was never coins as can be attested by the amount my husband has left over that the bank will not take back. rolleyes

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  8. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Did I mention it's my favorite coffee place I've been going to for a few years? ;)

Last week I walked in at my usual time, on my way to work, and there is an unusually large crowd of people ahead of me. All of them loud, annoying, and taking forever. I get in line, trying to be patient, and one of the girls who's working the morning shift notices me standing there. She paused after lining up the drinks she'd already made and asked me, "Are you getting your usual? Paying cash?" I nodded to both, and she made my drink for me right then, ahead of the entire noisy annoying line, took my cash and told me she'd ring it up for me when things settled down later. I told her thank you and keep the change. :)

And the way I see it, she earned them contents for the tip jar with that one.

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Tipping in Scotland???...Ha!, ha! you're talking about Scottish.We don't Tip, we leave that for the Tourists :p.
    The only Tip I'll give you is don't bother asking local Scots for a Tip, heh, heh!.
    Seriously, I know I'm way late, but glad you and Hubby had a blast, Laura.
    Good to have ya back!...:).

10. LauraR

That is most certainly different. I agree with you there. If you are a regular it is definitely worth the extra to get the better service. :)

haha...well, we did tip, so they probably thought we were silly, but that's okay.

We had an incredible time. Thanks, Barry. :)

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Glad you both had a really good time in Scotland Laura.

I guess with the tips you gave that the Scots will have you back ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds