PDA- your views?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Sep 23, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

No, not a personal digital assistant. :-D

I'm talking about public displays of affection.

So, I board our plane to head home on the 7 hour flight, get all my things stowed and as always, pray that I have a favorable person sitting next to me since you might as well be sitting in their lap, you are that close to them.

Down the aisle comes a couple and they are in my row. I think to myself 'yay, small people'. Little did I know that they were going to literally be all over each other for the entire flight...without exaggeration. At one point before the plane even took off, I thought they were going to engage in some sexual activity when he dove under her blanket. Thank god the flight attendant came past and stopped for some reason.

The guy (who I'm pretty sure was about 40-45 and probably 15 years older than the woman) was the worst. He was like a teenage girl. Putting his head in her lap a few times. She was rubbing his shoulders. There were constantly holding hands (which would have been fine if it wasn't that rubbing all over the hands thing).

I wanted to throw up by the end after witnessing his pathetic-ness.

The worst is you can't get away since you are so close to people in these planes. It was in my peripheral vision the whole time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  2. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Blinders needed.:-D

Attached Files:

3. LauraR

hahahaha, kat! I seriously needed those!

4. Anon-9aee479f8f

:(There is a serious lack of social grace and proper etiquette in todays society.
    This use to be taught in school as well as at home. Not any more.

5. LauraR

Manners are definitely lacking.

Btw, I'm fine with a little PDA. This was literally for the entire flight. They never stopped. The fact that they were adults made it worse for me.

6. Anon-9aee479f8f

Oh I agree a little PDA is OK. Keep it PG!! What you described is excessive in my opinion.

7. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Didn't they duck into the restroom for a little mile high clubbing? :-D

8. LauraR

roflmao

Funny you should say that because in the beginning when I seriously thought they were going to start going at it, I was going to say something to them about going into the bathroom if they were going to continue. :-D

9. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I'm fine with some(hand-holding, arms around each other, kissing - occasionally - without tongues, shoulder-rubbing, etc.), but anything that causes your breath to change needs to be done where there aren't other people. And definitely none of that on a plane! For pity's sake, you're not kidding about practically being in each others' laps.

You should have said the bathroom thing. Maybe it would have made them stop. Or go to the bathroom; either way, you win. LOL

10. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Wow Laura, annoying as this is you got off pretty lightly ;)
    PDA doesn't really bother me unless they were getting really noisy about it and were obviously unclothed and totally going for it :-D
    Hmmm.... Why didn't you hold up score cards for their technique ........ this may have poured some light hearted cold water on their hot situation ;) Of course if they didn't like it you may have ended up getting punched rolleyes

My worst ever flight, I got stuck next to a disgusting man with a serious flatulence problem. He took great pride in constantly farting for his footy club friends and the smell was so disgusting it was burning my eyes. The air was so thick and the smell was so bad you could taste it :puke
    I asked if I could change seats but the flight was fully booked.:cry
    The only good thing was it was a domestic flight and I only had to last about 1 hour :cool
    Embarrassing for me because the smell stuck to my clothes and I think the people picking me up at the airport thought I had s**t my pants :-o
    Worst flight of my life..:(

11. LauraR

LOL I know I should have. All I can say is yay for sleeping 2+ hours of the flight.

Omg...joffa, that is much worse. Maybe you should have vomited in his lap. :-D

12. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Gee Laura, I wish I had thought of that roflmao
    I did go to the toilet several times though, just to get some fresher air rolleyes

You are lucky you can sleep on a plane ;)
    Sleep in anything moving except a boat never works for me :(
    Boats I find very relaxing although I have never been in a serious storm so were that to happen it may change my opinion :-D

13. LauraR

The only mode of transportation I can usually sleep on is a train. When I worked in the city, I'd be asleep within 5 minutes of boarding in the morning. LOL

The only reason I was able to sleep on this flight was because of lack of sleep and the fact that I was sitting for 7 hours. Normally, I can't sleep on planes at all.

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I personally think time and place for affection and public displays are ones that are looking for approval over real affection, they are like minor celebs that look for media attention, sadly the attention is generally, take it to a room!

Ok a kiss or hug fine but some go way way too far, do they wish to shock others, TBH they do and not in a good way in many cases.

15. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

A kiss, a hug or holding hands -sure.
    But a big hot steamy make out session crosses the line into exhibitionism IMO.
    Get a room as they say.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I was going to suggest a fart app for the phone, but see that has been talked about. :-D

But you see why I don't fly or hang out in crowded places. I just don't like most people.;)

17. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Take a trip to France, do a few picnics in the parks.
    What you describe is tame for the French. Different areas of the world have different social values. Neither you nor they are wrong and the problem is only when the social differences combine and offend.

18. LauraR

Agreed.

Parks in France are a lot different than in the confined, extremely cramped quarters of a commercial airplane row, though.

And these people were American, not French.;)

I bet if I went and sat down an inch from a couple in France making out in a park, they'd stop making out.:-D

19. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Or they may ask you to join in.

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I was so going to go there, but decided to stay on the high road for once. :-D

21. LauraR

roflmao

Touche

22. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, I mean we were all young once, but keep it "Real" as Ali-G would say, lol! ( British Comedian).
    Hold hands, peck on the cheek, okay, but don't make everyone else uncomfortable in the process. Some people have no Class, sigh!
    I get embarrassed enough when the the G/F decides to give me a kiss on the cheek out of the blue and someone sees - Ha!, ha!...:-o:p

23. LauraR

Awww...that's actually kinda cute. :-D

24. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

...Yeah, she reckons just 200 lbs of Marshmallow...Sounds about right. :-o
    If I get hugged in public - I start panicking!...LoL! :eek

25. kench

kench Private First Class

LauraR...you should've got pics...or video...lol...then youtube it and voila...you would have had a viral youtube vid...maybe...would that be legal or ethical?

26. Wenchie

Wenchie I R teh brat

PDAs are gross. Unless it's me, then go away, I'm making out here...

haha

But no, seriously, go away.

Actually, in all seriousness, it's pretty gross. I think hand holding and small chaste kisses are perfectly acceptable. I will even accept one long lingering kiss at someplace that implies prolonged separation, like a bus/plane/train station, but in general, keep that shiz at HOME.

Blech.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds