Going to Shoot a New To Me Gun

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

So, next weekend I will head west and meet my fellow peeps for our annual shoot at the dove 'hunt'. But, this year, I will for the first time ever, be shooting a couple of over and under guns. I have of course arranged for some pretty nice guns to shoot, just never shot anything but a semi auto or pump shotgun.

Will be fun!:-D

Have a fun guarantee from this group of reprobates.

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You are shooting at doves? :(

What is an over and under gun?

When we were in Scotland, the caddies on the last round of golf of our trip were enthralled with the whole gun thing in the US. They kept asking all these questions including asking my friend and I if we owned guns. LOL

The one guy was telling me about this story of a farmer he knew that owned a gun. He had a license for it. One day they get an intruder in their house. The guy had the farmer's wife and was threatening her. The farmer gets his gun, and shoots the intruder in the leg. The farmer went to jail.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I heard about a farmer going to jail for shooting an intruder... Thank God for the Constitution. :-D

Over and under is a double barrel shotgun. Barrels sit in each other, as opposed to a side by side, where they are well side by side.

O/U http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=008B&cid=013&tid=485

SxS http://www.shutterstock.com/s/"double+barrel+shotgun"/search.html Well, a O/U in that link, but I am sure you will get it.

4. LauraR

I think I may have shot one of those! Is that what they use for skeet shooting?

And yeah, that was a crazy story. Maybe it wasn't someone he knew, maybe it was in the news. The guy eventually got out of jail, but I can't believe they had cause to put him in jail for shooting someone in his house that had his wife.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The double barrel guns are very popular in skeet/trap shooting. It is my understanding that you can only load 2 rounds in a pump or semi auto when shooting skeet, so I guess they are kinda the 'standard'. Pricey suckers though, but a lot of them are really nice looking guns.

6. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You are unfortunately correct. I live in a free state that has castle doctrine. I can even shoot to prevent some crimes or in the defense of others. Someone breaks into the house, they just might have bitten off more than they can chew. ;)

8. LauraR

The guy had to reload it after a couple of shots, so it must have been.

Have fun, E.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

With the group I will be hunting with, fun is guaranteed. :-D Will be doing some pistol shooting as well, should have my new toy in before I leave. I love/hate GunBroker...

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, if it is sophisticated, I am all up on that ma'. :-D

11. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

I always wanted a collection of guns based on the years I've lived and a corresponding guage/caliber. 9 10 12 16 20 22 25 32 35 38 40 50 . 9-would be a pistol 10-would be a duck gun 12-would be a pump 22-and 30/30 ight be an O/U. Every owner could have an aged based collection and every one would be different.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I turned 45 shooting 45 ACP 1911 guns in Berryvile Arkansas. Bought one of 'em. It is interesting how people decide to collect things. I have gotten to the point of collecting guns that serve a purpose. I do have a few for just because I wanted it. :-D

13. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Left 45 of the list didn't I? Shot a 50 cal when I was 17. Muzzle loader. Kick like a mule. So it would be in my 'collection'. Since I don't keep guns here I might start a photo collection of my 'favs' for later.

14. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

@ Fred:- I am a little surprised that you haven't fired, what I call 'regular' shotguns, yet. The "under-over is a little easier to aim accurately, because you don't have to compensate for any lateral distance between the barrels. I found the under-over type the easiest, and learned on them as a kid, LoL!:major

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, considering I bought a Remington Wingmaster for under $200 might explain why. LOL. The doubles ain't cheap! Borrowing a Browning Citori for this weekend. The people I have hunted with in Louisiana don't favor a double barrel, they like a pump or simi auto. Don't know why.

Looking forward to shooting one, they just look elegant. like myself. :-D:-Drolleyes

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Never shot a 10 guage, have no desire. Now a 1911 in 10mm is a hoot. :-D

I have to keep up my appearance, I hunt with a lot of 1%'ers. :-D A couple of lawyers and such.. I don't hold that against them, one of them handled my injury case, did a right fine job I must say. :-D

17. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Yep, she can shoot. But not shooting a double... Dang heathans. LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds