Windows 10

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DOA, Sep 30, 2014.

1. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Reasons to skip 9?
    1) distance themselves from 8
    2) someone high up in MS lost track of their versions at a meeting and no one would correct him
    3) Trying to catch up with Mac OS version number

Post your own "reason"

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

1) I like 8....better than 7 even, so not everyone hates 8 :p
    2) Well, you really should never contradict the ones who decide to give raises or not.
    3) Just nah

I got none. I like 8. Depending on when 10 comes out, I would possibly skip 9 only because my 8 is still working perfectly and I don't go out and buy new just for the sake of new.

3. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

It's a Bo Derek-approved operating system :-D

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

While everyone is pointing at the desktop, I'm more interested in reading more on the server version update.

We have a few applications that will NOT work under windows 8.1, since they changed how GPS works. I doubt that windows 10 reverted that back to the windows 7 way. I know of a few "workarounds" to "fix" the "gps issue".

Though I work in the enterprise, I doubt we will upgrade to 10 anytime soon. Maybe when 2020 comes around.

5. LauraR

I liked this quote:

"Windows 10 is such a substantial leap, according to Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company decided it would be best to skip over Windows 9, the widely expected name for the next version." :-D

6. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I have just seen the pictures of the windows 10 and it looks very interesting, But what date have they given for the release date.

7. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Ok. It's official. I can no longer keep up with Microsoft Operating System versions. :cry

I intend to stick with 7 till Microsoft stops supporting it, or it stops doing what I need it to do.

As long as an operating system (or a device) does what I need it to do and remains secure why upgrade? I am reminded of an actual discussion my wife and I had one year. She was struggling to come up with gift ideas for me. It went like this . . . :

Her: "How about a nice watch?"

Me: "I have a nice watch."

Her: "I bought that for you like . . . ten years ago!"

Me: "Yes, you did."

Her: "Don't you want a new one? A different one?"

Me: (suspicious . . . having left my watch in the bedroom) "You broke my watch?"

Her: "No! No! But your watch is old. What's wrong with getting a new watch?"

Me: (befuddled expression)

Her: (Face palm)

If it isn't broke, don't fix (or replace) it . . . :-D

8. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Now you have my interest. You don't buy new just for the sake of new but you changed from 7 to 8?
    I still have an XP box for a movie player. XP was the last version that plays nicely with everything on my network. That laptop has run so long I only remember cleaning it, not setting it up or changing anything. I will stay with XP and be happy, efficient and secure on that laptop.

9. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

As I recall LauraR's last machine died so she got a new one which happened to be W8. (AFAIK)

10. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I find it hard to keep up too Spad. In my short computing life time, I have had XP (and loved it) then VISTA (and HATED it. YUK) Then Win7 (current) and I LOVE it. Will also be sticking with it for as long as it suits my needs.

11. LauraR

Wow...good memory! :)

Yep. It is actually all documented here in the Lounge. LOL

That is exactly what happened. Btw, my new Win 8 is 10 months old (Dec, 2013):http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=282573&highlight=laptop. Just to be precise...Windows 8 was released Oct 2012...over a year before I bought my 'new' laptop. My Windows 7 computer was bought in Nov, 2009:http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=202240&highlight=envy It died a sad death, which is why I got the Win. 8 one.

So nope, I never buy new computers because of a release. I wait til they die.

12. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Just back from Win 10 preview in SF, took the day off for it. Any excuse to miss work!
    Preview will be available tomorrow.

XP users will still be disappointed by the number of clicks to do simple things. Like 7 and 8 the UI is just a little slower because of its multi click layout. Keyboard commands are all there so if you are a typer and not a clicker you will be happy. The transition from touch to keyboard was pretty neat. Not something I would ever use, but pretty cool to see.
    About the only reason to go to 10 is live tiles, they seem to be done right this time.
    Unfortunately the demo was totally flat looking, Aero needs to return or perhaps since this is still 6 months from release MS will pretty things up.

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Still rocking XP, but thinking about a new 64 bit new super computer, will probably get Win 7.

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Weird. You post is from today, but you are saying preview is tomorrow. I have it now.

Aero won't return...flat is the new cool look for...everything.

15. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

I've had my Win 7 box for a few years. I bought it just before the introduction of Win 8. I think you will like Win 7.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

We have a few Win7 computers at work they are well, OK. But love the 64 bit use of RAM, having 8 or 16 gigs of RAM is just sick! And I mean sick in a good way. :-D

17. hitest

hitest Staff Sergeant

Nice. My box is only an i3 with 6 GB RAM. It is still pretty decent though.

18. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

They will have to pry W7 Ultimate from my cold, dead rig.

:-D

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Right before they try to take my XP... :-D

20. LauraR

21. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

The introduction was in SF, and a few of us got some time on systems with 10 installed. The public preview download is a day later. Sorry if that was not clear in my posts.

22. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Separate post for emphasis.
    Be sure you upgrade all your XP boxes at the same time. Win 7 networking does not play all that well in a mixed XP, Mac and Unix environment.

23. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

That still doesn't make any sense. The public download started yesterday.

24. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Tell me about it... We have Win 8 at one location, some XP, and at another one we have Win 7 and XP. Not fun. ;)

And then their is that weird printer with one 'Nix box and one Win XP box in it. :-D Well, at least we are diverse.

26. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Allow me to show you why I am confused and maybe you can be less snarky in your next response.

You say the conference was a day ahead of release, but you posted yesterday talking about it releasing tomorrow (today):
    [​IMG]

Yesterday was 10-01-2014. Your live event was 9-30-2014.

Now you understand why I wasn't comprehending what you were talking about. San Fran isn't a day ahead of us in AZ. So whats up with that? Servers are in the US. I am very confused. Here is to hoping for a more civil response.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2014
  27. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

It is now 08:04 here. Note the post time on this post.
    I will see 7 hours later on the time.

28. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep, today @ 8:03. If I subtract or add 7 hours to your original post, it is still 10-01-2014.

[​IMG]

29. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Sorry if I confused things.
    I did post on the day after I went to the opening.

30. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Win 10 will have Cortana and speak Klingon.
    Bye Bye Win 7.
    Even if MS does record everything I do.

31. LauraR

I wonder what they will do with the Windows phones...if they will follow.

32. theefool

theefool Geekified

I moved my work production computer to windows 10 for a day, then found out about the "key logger" that is in the press. And moved back to windows 8.1.

For that short of time, everything that worked in 8.1 (enterprise) worked in 10. No issues at all.

The start menu is the old windows 7 with windows 8.1 added. I didn't like it. There is an option to change it to the start screen.

And, I personally like the start screen since I can customize it to my preferences.

Yes, you can do the same with the start menu, but, eh, not my cup of Carolina Reaper cup of tea.

33. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In that the articles mentioning a keylogger in 10 have been deleted, I am going to call BS on that.

34. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ah, I found the source. The Inquirer misinterpreting things as usual.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuetnpwatpd95l6/Screenshot 2014-10-04 01.40.07.png?dl=0

Thats right on the first page of preview.windows.com. Of course, digging around the settings shows that it is also opt-in.

Any company that uses adaptive predictive text does this which means most phones are capable of this. Windows Phone encrypts itself when joining an exchange server, so I have no reason to believe 10 won't do the same when its an appropriate time to have it on a business domain.

So with it being opt-in, and probably will be completely disabled when connecting to a domain in the final product, I think we will all be OK.

35. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Neat round number I like 10.

Anyone tried it yet? downloaded but not installed as yet, will do at some point on my Surface Pro and likely a Desktop PC to see what's new likely bugger all apart from a nifty new start menu, oh wait its the old one back again!

The core of Windows 8 was superb, just folk didn't like the "Modern" style tiles, the stability of W8 is good as is crash protection, so hope that they have not ballsed that up, with Mark Russinovich at the heart of last set of kernels then its going to be fine.

36. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I have it downloaded but not yet installed.

37. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

IMHO if the key logger code is in there it is only a matter of time til someone finds a way to abuse it.
    Win 10 does not like the RevoDrive I originally tried to install on. Support for minority hardware will need some more time.

38. theefool

theefool Geekified

I just hope that one can totally disable the ability to sync to the cloud, and to totally disable the windows store. This request is for the enterprise of course.

39. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I've no doubt that will be possible.

40. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

pseudocode:
    Code:
    if (Application.Environment.Windows.Version.StartsWith("9") == true)
    {
    //Windows 95 or Windows 98
    }

we did some googling at work - we feel like this answer has merit

41. theefool

theefool Geekified

42. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

Can I ask who is running windows 10 tech preview?

43. theefool

theefool Geekified

I have it running now in a VM. I'm liking a few things about it. I love the new command prompt. I don't like the start menu, though, I'm happy I can switch back to the start screen which I now prefer.

Still researching on the new server they put out.

44. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

45. theefool

theefool Geekified

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds