Howdy!!

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by RaynbowBrite, Jan 10, 2013.

1. RaynbowBrite

RaynbowBrite Private E-2

Super nerd meets walking sunshine! Sometimes I have questions, more often I have good advice (that doesn't involve uber negativity or trolling thankyouverymuch) Excited to get some new knowledge and maybe help out here or there! :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's. ;)

3. RaynbowBrite

RaynbowBrite Private E-2

Hey; any Idea why I can't post a reply to someone's thread?

4. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

If you are trying to reply to a thread in the Malware forum, only authorized Malware fighters can reply.

Welcome to Major Geeks, by the way :)

5. RaynbowBrite

RaynbowBrite Private E-2

Ok... then how do I go about piping up about some misinformation?

6. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

You can start a new thread in there, just not reply to existing ones, so I would know of no other way to get your voice heard in there. I'd suggest sending a private message to Chaslang with your concerns, but I believe a new member has to have 50 posts before they can send PM's. You also might try sending an email to one of the site owners, Tim@ or Jim@ this site, but I'd make sure it was pretty verifiable misinformation as the folks in the malware forum are pretty good at what they do.

7. RaynbowBrite

RaynbowBrite Private E-2

:-/ not very user-friendly though. Well... I'll start pokin' people. Thanks!

8. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Oh it's very user-friendly if you knew the history of it. I've been a member here for years and so much bad advice was being passed along in that forum they really had no choice but to have approved, knowledgeable people replying in there. It's now recognized as one of the top destinations on the Internet for getting that kind of help.

9. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, RaynbowBrite, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

I second solaris89's emotions 100%...;)

Also, make sure you hit LauraR's Guidelines and reminders for those offering tech support before jumping into the other support forums - but by all means do jump in: we need all the help we can get!

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and Welcome

Yeah we are friendly, especially if you come in a friendly vain as you mentioned you do not troll, we LIKE that trait.

But as mentioned the malware forum is one that we HAD to close off to random posting for a few reasons..

1. Was not great when everyone and their cat posted in a thread that they had the same issue, all malware is not the same, as it can be different on individual PCs and need custom removal steps. So multiple questions on a similar malware infection can be confusing to the steps for each individual user to action... as they may not be the same, thus can cause issues.

2. Some of the random user posts where so way off the mark it was hilariously sad, to how to fix an issue, so we like many other malware/security forums decided to only allow those we know can actively fix an issue competently to reply to said threads. Only the thread starter and an authorised malware removal expert can reply to those malware forum threads.

If you wish to become a malware helper and have the skills to do this (do note that Chaslang is a Microsoft MVP, one of a few that get this recognition in this area) then read the below

That would be me ;) but see blue quote above!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds