Can i combine 2 memory sticks tht hav two different speeds?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by basketball, Jul 11, 2005.

1. basketball

basketball Private E-2

Is it ok to combine Kingston 256MB DDR PC3200 Value RAM with Nanya 256MB DDR PC2100? My motherboard is Intel i845GL-W83627.

I know tht Kingston 256MB DDR PC3200 goin to run at PC2100(133 MHz), and would they both still work at 133 MHz?

is there any gud software to view my system specs?

thx

2. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

read the announcements, and yes they should work fine and both will run at the lower speeds.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

are you sure you're not referring to PC133 SDRAM? not to be confused with DDR = double data rate, in other words, 266MHz or 2 x 133MHz thus double data rate

Do you have a link to your motherboard? I've found these:
    http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/ly/index.htm
    http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/va/index.htm

but one of them only supports PC133 SDRAM and the other supports DDR266/200 RAM .. but neither support DDR400 PC3200 which is what you seem to want to upgrade with

5. basketball

basketball Private E-2

it says DDR SDRAM as the memory type in my current installed memory.
    Here's a report from Everest Home Ed.

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2000 MHz (20 x 100)
    Motherboard Name DFI NB30-BC/BL/EC/EL/TC/TL (3 PCI, 2 DIMM, Audio, Video)
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Brookdale-G i845GL
    System Memory 256 MB (PC2100 DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Award (06/27/02)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

am i suppose to buy DDR or SDRAM type of memory?

6. basketball

basketball Private E-2

by the way thx for replies

7. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

well ... DDR SDRAM and SDRAM are similar ... but DDR SDRAM sends data at both the rising edge and the falling edge of the clock cycle .. while plain old SDRAM only sends data through one edge, so the bandwidth is therefor doubled in double data rate

anyway, enough techno-jargon ... this is your board: correct?

DFI NB30-BC

so I'm afraid you can't put DDR400 PC3200 SDRAM into your board ,,, you need DDR200 PC1600 SDRAM or DDR266 PC2100 SDRAM .. I'd go with the DDR266 as it's faster

8. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

He can put faster DDRam on it but it will only run at the max allowable board speed (266) if he removes the old ram.

edit: POST 1500! YAY!

9. basketball

basketball Private E-2

ya the my motherboard is DFI, found out after i did the memory tests and found out the box l8r too. lol

do u hav a any idea wht the DDR SDRAM might cost in canada (Toronto)?

thx alot for the replies, i was gonna buy the Kingston and if i bought it, i would have to pay 35% restocking charge to return it. Fortunatly i didn't. lol.
    I guess it's lot more complicated than just puttin a new memory stick in.

thx again

10. basketball

basketball Private E-2

i hav one more question, is it worth to put a new video card in?
    cuz my current one in 64MB and intergrated.
    my motherboard doesn't hav a AGP slot (I think, lol). so i guess i hav to use a PCI card. My motherboard also hav a "ADD Card" (a slot with sticker on it, empty one), i think it's a video card thing too, but not really sure. is it worth to upgrade my video card since i don't have a AGP slot? or upgrade my memory? which one do u think would give better performance (In Games, lol)?

my friend told me there's no point buyin a new video card, cuz there's no AGP slot or somethin, lol. i'm also low on the budget too.

wht's ur opinion? should i upgrade my memory or buy a new graphic card?

:cool:

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

first off, I take it back. omegamerc is correct you can buy DDR400, but it will run at 266MHz

you might want to buy it here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...Flower+(DFI)&tabid=CR&model=NB30-BC&submit=Go

there's also http://www.tigerdirect.ca/indexca.asp? if crucial doesn't deliver to canada

If you have ~128MBs of RAM you should definitely get the RAM. But if I were you I'd get both, but it all depends on your budget. This is about the best you will do with a PCI slot:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1136927&CatId=0

if you get 512MBs of RAM that would be less than 150$ and most likely boost the performance significant;y, although you still won't win any benchmark contests.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds