What happened?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Aimee Wilbury, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

Hot Button Topics disappeared. I clicked on it to see where it went and it told me I needed a password. Normally I don't pay attention to the forum but it's sort of weird. I looked through the rules and stuff but I didn't see anything but knowing me I probably missed it.

2. N5638J

N5638J Guest

Its back up but no posts????

3. Aimee Wilbury

Maybe something crashed?

Or the admins thought it was a little too nasty there and deleted everything?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

They are discussing the life and future of that forum.

5. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nice to move those posts away from lounge, but I feel the disrespect to each other is out of control and when I demand people behave, I am disrespected, so that is not happening. Currently it is under password protection, one thought is to ask people to request access at which point, your on your own, no moderation.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

I like the hot button topics I think its only abused by a small minority of members,I think the perfect solution would be block those members from using it if banning is too harsh.

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I can see your point MA, too much time wasted on moderation. Been there done that at my site and it's a horrible job! We just got rid of it. I'll go in there once in a while just to check but I fear it will become a cesspool with verbal shootouts and not being respectful to other members as it is now.:( Have at it boys.

8. murderhigh187

murderhigh187 Private First Class

9. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Or, maybe the opposite. Some good, thought provoking thoughts have been raised on that forum. Some have driven me to analyze and study deeper into the things I believe. Yes, things get out of sorts often, but the moderation, especially by Laura (sorry if I'm singling you out) is a strong presence. And the repeat offenders are singled out. I enjoy and value seeing all viewpoints, even the base and vile ones. If it's a subject I have no worthwhile opinion in, I stay out of it, but I still like to glean those thoughts.

Case in point, I'm from a school of thought that is in polar opposite of Rikky, yet we became forum friends because of the posts we exchanged.

Please reconsider, Tim...

In Good Faith,

Roy (PapaDuke)

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Although I rarely used it, I seem to remember the shoutbox occasionally got out of hand too.

That too was a popular outlet that helped make MG the lively, friendly and supportive place it is compared to many more staid forums. Over moderation is stifling, no one is forced to open and read a thread or to reply. Letting off virtual steam can be a good thing.

I have noticed that some hot topics become a personal battle between two individuals and everyone else withdraws from the thread. That is the danger sign I think.

11. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

I also rarely reply or voice my opinion but I have found some things in there that woke me up and made me think a time or two just from reading . As everyone else has posted here Yes it does sometimes get too boisterous in there but when that happens I stay out of the conversations.But why punish all just because a few can't keep a civil head. As Rikky suggested block those who repeatedly ignore warnings. Two strikes and you're out. It really is a great forum and would be a shame to let a few select have the upper hand by having it get shut down. Their theory is If you ban me I'll make it so No One can post and that's not right.This is JMO and I hope you reconsider MA.

12. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I steer well clear of hot topics, (hence I didnt even notice it was missing) I think I only ever popped in once to try cool things down some :-D

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Dang, I thought I had converted everyone to the Conservative side, and it was just no longer needed. :-D

Hope you open it back up.

14. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I'd like to see "Hot topics" survive, some good reading, interesting too...

Can I have access?
    Password protected OK...
    I'll behave.....

15. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

I blame fred & his "jesus" roflmaoroflmao

(for those not aware, that is NOT a religious comment);)

16. bigtrucks

bigtrucks MajorGeek

Just had a thought/question. What happens now when a topic here or the "Interesting Website Links" forum gets a little hot(and we know they do)? Will the thread be removed all together or locked? Just Curious is all.:confused

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

No shots were fired by 'jesus' in the Hot Topic forum. :-D Have been reading up on 308 cal rifles. Want to get into some long range paper punching. :-D May have to buy a reloding kit, so I can afford to shoot.

18. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

had an old 303 a long time ago........DAMN that thing was accurate with just barrel sites

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I sighted my SOCOM II at 300 yards not too long ago.. I absolutely LOVE that rifle! :)

20. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Though I rarely have gone there, I agree with Rik that members should be warned then banned for verbal abuse, maybe skip the warn.
    I learned long ago not to discuss politics, religion, or sex with anybody unless I know they are like minded.
    I've never seen one side convincing the other side of the merits of their position. There is nothing to be gained and only something to lose in these conversations.
    One reason I like this forum over any other is the enforcement of the rules.
    MG rocks!

21. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

:-D same here, i only looked if it came up in the new posts.

22. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Works for me. I got tired of stepping in there to stop the America bashing and the commie propaganda.

23. Major Attitude

After gathering opinions from moderators, the decision to close it and leave it close stands. Things to consider:

1: This is a tech forum first, always has been. Not directly important, but nice to remind people.

2: Not singling anyone out because WHO is not the point, but basically to keep a forum open for a handful of people had become a waste of time and distracted from what I feel are a great set of forums.

3: Other forums exist here for our friends like hobbies and the lounge for general fun. Go find them. Be sure to post in those places when applicable rather then the lounge. The niche chat areas can make you some great friends. I must be getting old, but arguing major issues rarely changes anyones minds, see any discussion thread on any site anywhere on the internet.

4: In retrospect, one thing that made this forum different was not becoming the problem mentioned in #3. Sadly, this also brought up issues of us being hitler like in our moderation. As always, we welcome you to go elsewhere, this forum is not for everyone.

That said, is it for you? If any of the below describe you, then you might not fit in here:

- A dick (except me, I am a rare, funny dick, your not)
    - EMO. Life sucks, get a shrink.
    - Like to use cool typing, zomg, teh forum and stupid crap. Get a dictionary and come back in 10 years. Ok, 20.
    - Love to argue politics and religon because I am right and people will change their mind when they hear my intelligent, condescending rant.
    - Under 30. Sure, we have lots of members who are so lets say you act younger then 30.
    - On medication. This is real hit and miss. For example. blood thinners and even some illegal drugs could be fine, while some prescribed medications like prozac and oxycotin might be a problem.

Anyway, as always we have a simple rule here, treat people like you want to be treated. As always, the rules never apply to me. Like you, I am "special" only here your in my world.

24. Aimee Wilbury

:confused I suppose that means I should go away

25. Major Attitude

Or get a sense of humor, whichever comes first.

26. Aimee Wilbury

I thought you meant it literally.

27. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Fine by me MA, I was expecting discussion like the all-nighters we used to pull in college. I guess I was looking for something that has long since disappeared. Too bad but not unexpected.:)

28. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Well said MA. What you listed are the reasons I stay at this forum. I too have seen the behavior in other forums and I think they are dominated by 12 year olds.

29. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

This is like my bio,no wonder I liked that forum...:-D

30. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

31. Major Attitude

Or if you think saying fail is cool.

32. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I just spit my water!..LOL!!!

33. Major Attitude

I live for that :)

34. silas

silas MajorGeek

Ive been gone for little bit again and just got back home. Anyways while away I sometime check the forums here just to see whats new in the lounge or off topic. And I notice no off topic anymore. Anyways I kinda miss them. I see points to this being a computer forum foro help and learning. But then again sometimes you just want to talk about off topic things. The thing I learn at young age is few things to never talk about or bring up. Sometimes back in the day our family bring something up about at a holiday eating and boy would they talk about it. Anyways the two things to never talk about is religion and politics

35. star17

star17 MajorGeek

Ban Kodo; everyone knows he's the real $hit starter around here :-D

I joined this forum back in the late sixties and have seen more mutations than I thought were possible for just a message board. If you think of it, all the trouble started when MA turned on avatars in 2002. :)

I do want to thank all those responsible for the ignore list; sometimes that's the only thing that makes visiting tolerable. ;)

36. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

Perish the thought. The two greatest causes of misery and suffering on Earth.
    Florida being the third greatest as it contains Big Trucks. :neener

37. LI_Geek_95

LI_Geek_95 Post-and-Run Geek

Lol. No, what happened was I wrote something, it didnt relate anymore, so I changed it to fail.

38. murderhigh187

I always love talking to people who I disagree with. Whats point of discussing something with someone you agree with, you learn nothing. Thats time that could be better wasted elsewhere.

39. Major Attitude

Then try the tech forums where EVERYONE is asking to learn.

40. murderhigh187

I would post in those forums but Im one of those people

41. Major Attitude

42. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

Dang! Murder's post count actually suffered worse than mine! :-D

43. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

These are known facts, not Hot Topics. :-D

44. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

The Forum should have been called "Hot Heads", which is what it became a lot of the time. It's loss to a degree - then again, think of all the hot heads post we've lost as well.;)

{C'mon Chris - You know you love your Ignore List. Think of all the aggravation you avoid. Pity we can't do the same for R.L. - Or maybe we CAN! ;)} Or just rename it the F.A.I.L., (A.K.A. - Failure And Idiots List).LOL}

45. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

@Silas

The only Off Topic area now not here is Hot Topics, so you still have the other 8 Off Topic areas, in Lounge, Interesting Links, Electronics, Cars, Home etc

46. Aimee Wilbury

Perhaps maybe there could be some sort of forum script that would require a password to be able to post in the board. Anyone could look, but only the members allowed to could post. And the ones who had the trouble before wouldn't be allowed.

EDIT: Whenever someone becomes too much trouble, the password changes. Also, anyone found to be giving away the password will also be in big troubles.

47. DavidGP

Aimee, let me refer you back to post #24 as this subject of HBT is a done deal for now, it was debated long and hard by all the admins and final decision was made.

48. joey off the street

joey off the street Lounge Lizard No.1

R.I.P. Hot Button Topics.
    Cue solemn music.

49. DavidGP

I was thinking more along the lines of New Orleans Jazz...

50. Major Attitude

Glad to create new forum if people have interests in the off topic area. That said, if you want to debate religion and politics, your not changing anyones mind, please choose from one of the many thousands of websites where you can pointlessly argue your thoughts. Thanks and good luck with that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds