Need help with new PC purchase

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Green Giant, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Green Giant

Green Giant Private E-2

First post, sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I am looking at two PCs, both with very similar specs.

However, one is from Dell with:

PentiumĀ® D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
    256MB nVidia GeForce 7900 GS

The other is from HP with:

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor E6300 (1.86GHz)
    256MB NVIDIA GeForce 7500LE, TV-Out, DVI, VGA

All other specs are very similar(1 GB RAM, 19" flat screen, apx $1200).

Which PC is better for gaming?
    Which processor is better?

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the Core 2 Duo processor is better (Conroe core, currently the top of the line series)

The 7900GS Graphics card is better, so I would assume the Dell would be the better Gamer in the current setup.

The HP would be better if the graphics card was more comparable.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Have to agree the Core 2 Duo from HP is a lot better but I think the GPU is actually a 7600LE (not 7500). DELL was selling PC's loaded with SPYWARE and for that I really don't like them:

http://www.michaelrighi.com/2005/07/21/dell-spyware-my-way/

Why don't you talk to the salespeople and say look I really like this HP but I can get a DELL for the same price with a better Video Card, if you want my buisness are you willing to upgrade the Video Card. Sometimes this will work if you say it well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds