HD Light Blinking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by debodun, Aug 12, 2012.

1. debodun

debodun Private E-2

What could be a reason fro the HD light to blink about once a second, the every minute or so it will come on brighter and flutter, then go back to the 1 a second pulse?

OS is Windows 7

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

That would be your OS and/or Internet Connection accessing the hard drive, or possible programs checking for updates. :)

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

When you are idle, Windows (and some security programs) sees that as an opportunity to do some "housecleaning" chores - scanning and indexing, for example, or as Novice mentioned, some of your other programs check for updates.

You should check Task Manager/Resource Monitor to see what is running, and probably do some supplemental scanning for malware to ensure all is good there too.

Assuming you have been keeping your system updated, and you have a decent anti-malware solution in place, and your scans come out clean, I would not worry about it.

4. debodun

debodun Private E-2

I noticed this started yesterday after doing a CCleaner scan. The HD light would always blink on occasion, but not constantly about a blink a second. Just curious about this.

5. Digerati

Well, one thing CCleaner does, if the option is checked, is to delete index.dat files. Most are used by IE, but some are search results and Windows may be recreating them in the background.

It is wise to always be aware of disk activity. If you were doing nothing and your drive light as constantly on, or steadily flickering, and that lasted for awhile, I would be concerned and would be scanning everything to make sure nothing malicious was going on. I think you are okay here.

6. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you could run this tool

http://majorgeeks.com/Hard_Disk_Sentinel_d7520.html

confirming the health status of your hdd :wave

7. Digerati

That's a good program, but it's purpose is to diagnose and repair hard disk problems. I don't see this being a hard disk problem. The light indicates disk "activity" - not errors. However, there is no harm in confirming the health status of the drive.

Still, you need to be looking at what is running on your machine that is making calls to the disk. My bet is it is Windows, or a security program such as a scanner or PSI checking for changes on the drive. Again, TM's Resource Manager is good for that.

Back to Disk Sentinel - note it is Shareware, not Freeware, and not Trialware. Unlike Freeware and Trialware, if you use Shareware and like it, you are supposed to pay for it. And that's fine, if it is worth it and you will be using it enough to justify it.

I note Windows' own chkdsk /r can check for and repair disk errors. And all the drive makers have free diagnostics and repair programs available for download on their sites.

I am seeing similar drive activity on my systems here - except those sleeping. Seems normal to me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds