Here's a challenge for you!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mango76, Aug 8, 2008.

1. mango76

mango76 Private E-2

Hi. Thank you for letting this newbie join and for taking the time to read my story and possibly offer me some suggestions. I am very grateful for this and thank you again.

We have a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Modem Router DG834PN. We use Norton Internet Security 2008. We are with PlusNet as the broadband provider. We are running Windows XP home edition with service pack 2. The pc is connected to the router via the Ethernet port.

We were previously with Talk Talk (Cancelled 27th May) in a LLU bundle deal for phone and Internet but got out within the 30 day trial period. We were with Orange broadband for over 2 years prior to going with Talk Talk (unbeknown to me-I didn’t sort that bill out!, we hadn’t actually cancelled with Orange, but were still paying them even though Talk Talk took the line from them, and so cancelled with Orange officially on 30th May while still with Talk Talk) this year. As we were in a bundle deal, we had to have our phone line changed from LLU back to a standard BT line. This went through on June 11th. We started with PlusNet officially on June 18th.

We had no real problems until 18th July when the ADSL ‘chain’ link on the router (as was my understanding the broadband supply) went off permanently. I rang PlusNet and the Tech support guy was very helpful; unbelievably, Orange had stolen our broadband line back (this was confirmed by adviser with BT wholesale). I rang Orange who apologised, and said they don’t know how, but, yes indeed, they had temporarily taken the line back (even though as I say, we weren’t actually getting any ADSL supply to the router). They said all records of us would be out of their system by midnight that night and so we shouldn’t have any further problems. I then argued and managed to get a MAC code from them. So I rang back PlusNet and they started the migration process (even though we were with PlusNet, but this had to be done as for some inexplicable reason-I established it was NOT financial-i.e., due to unpaid bills with Orange, just a fault on their part).

The process took a full week. The Broadband started again on 25th July. However, since then, there have been enormous problems. Basically, the ADSL ‘Chain’ link keeps going off, or if it’s on the internet would be ridiculously slow or ‘cannot connect to server’. It would then be fine and then repeat the process. This has gotten worse and worse. We tried several things-making sure the connection was no more than 10m from the main BT input to the house, re-setting the router (and trying a Friend’s router that is the exact same model), changing the filter box, turning off the firewall, intrusion prevention, spyware etc etc on the Norton Anti-virus. Nothing helps. You can get it to work again for a bit by switching the router on or off again, then after maybe 2 mins, the ADSL chain link eventually comes back on. Then the slowness, unable to connect, ADSL chain link disappearing happens again. Switching the computer on and off did sometimes help, but not now.

So I have contacted PlusNet again. They did Broadband line checks yesterday. The results of which were ‘inconclusive’. But Tech Support have told me I can do little more my end and that there appears to be a fault on the line and they are ‘liaising with BT’ (who own PlusNet I’m told-and so they may get things sorted quicker PlusNet said). I have been told today that they don’t know what the fault is, but that it can take from 5 working days-3 weeks to sort out and that they have raised this again now with their faults team. They said not to switch the computer or router off while they are testing things so I didn’t yesterday. The ADSL ‘chain’ link was permanently off, more or less, since then. However, by switching the router off now and back on again (he said it was OK to do this quickly before tests started again), the ADSL link is back on . This seems to happen most if not everytime: if I switch the router off then on, the ADSL link takes approx 2 mins to come back on, but when it does, the internet seems to be fine for a bit, before it all happens again.

Even PlusNet agree that it seems too much of a coincidence for there not to have been any problems prior to the line been taken away by Orange, then loads of problems since re-connecting with PlusNet. PlusNet have also said it isn’t a problem our end. Has anyone else had similar experiences, or can anyone shed any light on this? Offer suggestions etc? Even PlusNet agree that it seems too much of a coincidence for there not to have been any problems prior to the line been taken away by Orange, then loads of problems since re-connecting with PlusNet. PlusNet have also said it isn’t a problem our end. Thank you very much for taking the time to read my story! Apologies for how long it is; I am a newbie and not that technical (as you will no doubt tell :eek:)). Any help at all is appreciated. Thank you again for reading/listening.

2. pacpis

pacpis Private E-2

I think it may be a problem on ur line that only ur ISP can solve

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I hope i can give you a little comfort and insight to your problem.

i recently moved house (in Brugge Belgium) and the system is not unlike UK.

i already had an account with my ISP so it was just a matter of transferring to my new address (or so you would think).

the first problem when we moved in was that being a newly built complex the TV cables had been laid but not connected to the house and a dispute over who must do the job meant we waited for 5 weeks before connection with no TV/PHONE or INTERNET.

after everything was done it was great for 6 days then phone and internet went off lots of phone calls and 5 days later an engineer called after two hours he got everything working again (bad connections in the building he said) all was good for 3 weeks and then again no phone or internet, another 5days and many calls another engineer has to be called.

and the saga goes on, it could just be a bad line from BT or a bad connection in the big grey box in the street or a thousand other thing, the only difference is that my ISP are always ready to send an engineer even if it takes 5 days(with a weekend in that) and in the UK they seem very reluctant to check the infrastructure.( it can't be our fault)

so just hang in there and keep giving them earache on the phone until you get it sorted.

GOOD LUCK
    [​IMG]

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Very weird that you where able to be on Talk Talk and Orange at the same time as its only 1 internet connection per phoneline, so Talk Talk must have requested your MAC Code from Orange. Orange are one of the worst ISPs in the UK, was with them for only 1yr after they had taken over Wanadoo ex Freeserve, with FS and Wanadoo for 6yrs and they where fine, the rot set in when Orange took over, I followed procedure to get my MAC code, phonecall and email routes, got the MAC code and migrated to O2 ADSL2+, only to have Orange for 3 months on the run to threaten me with legal action as I had not paid my Bill and I was still getting broadband from them?? Rang them up in the end and told them if they checked their records I migrated to O2 3 months earlier ( I had the email conformations still of my MAC code request and the code ) and did not have internet from them and if they did not stop sending me legal letters I would report them to OFCOM and later sue them. Gained an appology and a refund in the call cost as they charge you 50p a min for the priviledge of calling their terrible support team!!

I have a feeling that their still is a mixup over who is your ISP and your exchange needs to have conformation of who is your ISP so that they can bind your line to PlusNet ( could well still be a Tag or Marker on yoru line binding you to Orange ), other than that when you make voice calls how clean is the sound on your line, does it crackle and hiss? if so get BT to check your line quality, I had mine go bad and continually disconnect me and this was due to the connection of my line in the chain to the exchange rot due to water logging.

Have you also changed the connection settings in your router to connect to your account at PlusNet? http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/connections_settings.shtml

5. mango76

mango76 Private E-2

Hello PACPIS, BILLMCC66 and HALO

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your experiences and pas son some suggestions.

The question of how Talk Talk was our provider without requesting a MAC code from orange alos puzzled me until i found out that-this is what i have been told and would explain a lot: Apparently, to get round the legal requirement of requesting a MAC code, Orange, Talk Talk, Sky etc apparently now run on their own network (still BT line, but, from what i am led to believe, their own network on that line). And as they are not on the 'general' network got round the having to request the MAC code thing. It's also how Orange managed to 'steal' our line back that day from PlusNet. Someone at Offcom and one of the more helpful Tech people at PlusNet told me this. I have no evidence to back this up, only what they told me.

I have checked my router settings match what is stated here by PlusNet:

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/help_and_setup/connections_settings.shtml

That is all correct on my router settings.

I am sorry to hear too, BILLMCC66 and Halo, that you have had similar, frustrating problems with line connections etc. Yes, we have noticed our line clicking a bit prior to it becoming a BT line and after going back to BT. PlusNet have apparently done their OSC (One Stop Check) and found their is still an intermittent problem and so passed it onto BT to check the line (not at our house, but somewhere else-the exchange?). PlusNet are due to report back to me tomorrow morning.

Thank you very much once again for taking the time to reply to me and any further suggestions will be welcomely received.

Thanks

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Mango

Cheers for that info, and do let us know how you get on with the BT line inspection, it does seem as if PlusNet are working to help you resolve this so good for them.

BUT if that is correct in that they dont need a MAC code and could like Orange steal your line back ( I ws on LLU with Orange but gained a MAC code so its hit a miss to what they tell you I guess ), then Ofcom need to investigate this as their is something not quite right about them having the ability to do this!

Did read up on TalkTalks Migration FAQ http://www.talktalk.co.uk/talktalk/...e=MAIN.UK.TALKTALK.STATIC.HELP.BBHELP.MACCODE minefield for those not used to whats involved with migration to a new ISP, no wonder you ended up going through this ordeal.

My migration from Orange to O2 happened in 3hrs, so all I lost internet for was those 3hrs while they set me up, have not looked back since.

In the end they will bend over backward to keep you with them by making it damm hard to migrate to another ISP, thus in some cases having users give up the fight and sticking with them as MAC codes only last 30 days.

7. mango76

mango76 Private E-2

Hi Halo

Thanks again for the reply and link.

Yes, I agree that Offcom should definately be pushing for another change. Apparently, their argument is it took ages and a court case to get the law changed re a MAC code being needed; now if they form their own network (Orange, Talk Talk et al), then it's hard to do anything and it will take years to rectify. PllusNet have told me they are constantly complaining about this to Offcom as situations like mine are unaviodable if one of those ISP chooses to do what Orange did to me.

Today the internet appears to be working fine. I won't hold me breath in case PlusNet (via BT) have still not got the situation sorted. We shall see what happens.

Thank you again for your help and information

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds