Logon Logoff Loop, Now Logon Message

Discussion in 'Software' started by bevdye1962, Jul 2, 2008.

1. bevdye1962

bevdye1962 Private E-2

The first problem I am having started out with the logon/logout loop. The second problem to develop is when I try to logon I receive the message:

"The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type password again. Letters in passwords must be typed using the correct case."

Here is what preceded the problems. Spybot S&D detected Hellz Little Spy and CoolWWWSearch on my Dell Inspiron 9200 two days ago. I checked "Fix selected problems". My computer froze soon afterward. I had to shut down with the power button. When it restarted and typed in my password at the Welcome screen, my settings started loading, but the desktop flashed for about one second before logging out. My options were to log on again or turn off/restart.

I had all my Dell disks that came with the computer. I have tried the following suggestions I found online, plus I tried more things I cannot recall, but all along the lines of these attempts to repair:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=162023&highlight=login+logoff+loop+-able+to+log+in

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545&sd=tech

http://icrontic.com/articles/repair_windows_xp

Here is how the computer behaves. As soon as I log into my account with my password, Windows starts to load my personal settings, flashes desktop, then logs me off saving my settings, and ends up back at the Welcome screen. I can and have booted in Safe Mode from my Dell CD, and tried every viable option there, but the logon results are still the same in Safe Mode with the exception that I have Administrator logon there. I cannot get past the logon/logoff loop in Safe Mode either.

Before posting this I checked the recommended similar threads, and have just completed the instructions given at:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=99770 (boot to cd ..install ...f8 ...then when it finds the previous version of xp it will ask if new install or repair ..choose "R" ...when done ....).

When done, my computer beeped once loudly and the screen went black. I pressed F8, but had CD in drive and it booted from there. Upon restart two more loud beeps followed by the loop as follows:

"Log On to Windows" grayed out and underneath "Logon Message" stating, "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct, then type your password again..." I did not have a chance to type a password at all. Clicked OK.

Clicked "Turn off" in lower left, and logged in in Safe Mode with Networking. Logged in under Administrator (other choice was Beverly) with password. Loop started over again.

I stay on top of Basic Computer Maintenance. I haven't been having any trouble with the computer until two days ago.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

Bev

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. bevdye1962

bevdye1962 Private E-2

Thanks, plodr, for the link.

Yesterday I tried the System Restore from Safe Mode command prompt, and that did not work at the time. However, I cannot get to the Safe Mode prompt at all because I get the Logon Message, "The system could not log you on. Make sure your User name and domain are correct..."

I am going to look in the Spybot forum as well. I hadn't thought of that.

Thanks! Bev

4. bevdye1962

bevdye1962 Private E-2

Windows XP Setup Problem after SpyBot HellsLittleSpy Resolved

The "Logon Message" issue I requested help for last week at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163472 has been repaired by editing the registry going through XP Repair C:\ prompt and finding a system restore point from two weeks ago. That took me back to the logon/logoff loop caused by the SpyBot issue.

I have also resolved the logon/logoff issue caused by SpyBot by copying the file userinit.exe from a running computer to a CD. Then I copied the file from the CD to my "loopy" computer with the command c:\copy d:\userinit.exe c:\ where d:\ is my CD drive and c:\ is my hard drive. Then I copied the file from c:\ to c:\i386 on my "loopy" computer. I rebooted, and the logon/logoff loop is fixed.

However, now that I can log on, I cannot back up my data because files will not copy to the CD drive. Nothing happens. I also have no network connection icons, and Windows Components Wizard stalls when I try to add Windows Components. The Start button doesn't respond to keyboard command. There may be more, but this is what I have found in assessing it so far. I want to back up my files and reinstall Windows XP to get a fresh start, and I am hesitant to reboot until I know a little more about this new hurdle.

Can anyone help me with this backup attempt so I can start using my computer again?

Thanks,

Bev

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Quick suggestion as you dont wish to reboot at present is if you can access your files and the internet then two options, 1. try a USB Pen drive to backup your files 2. If you can access the internet and get online is to upload your files to online space http://skydrive.live.com/ has plenty of free space.

Other suggestions would need reboot and possible repair of XP with an original XP disk, this can be done so that file loss is minimal if at all, or hooking up that hard drive of yours to another PC as a slave drive and accessing and copying the data over that that HD then burning to CD, which will allow you to clean install the faulting one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds