Router issues and a question about wireless n routers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mladyraven, Apr 17, 2012.

1. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

I got a Cisco Valet for Christmas and it is just not working and degrading my internet speed. So, I bought from Cox a NetGear N300 wireless router for 50 dollars. I thought I would be able to use this in the living room and then hook up another computer in the bedroom using my old modem. I did not know that if I set up another modem in the bedroom I would be charged for two internet services.
    So, they told me to buy a wireless n router and connect it to the computer in the bedroom. I am confused, I am looking on Amazon trying to find something that will work with my Netgear router and my computer in the bedroom.
    I have 5 days left to return the router to Cox if they sold me the wrong item.

In 2000 I bought a Linksys, that had a main router for downstairs and a min router for upstairs. I thought what I was buying from Cox would work with both.

Both computers are older, neither is wireless, and both are desktops.
    Any suggestions would be helpful. I am a senior and on a fixed income so I am trying to do this in a way that will not be crazy expensive.
    I went from 17-18 download speeds a month ago to 3-5 download speed now. I am paying for 15-20, however, with the router it is not working out that way for the last week. I use my computer for streaming and some gaming when the grandson's are over.
    Thanks for you help.
    Raven:)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you sure the "min router" was really a router and not a hub or switch?
    How was this "min router" attached to the main router, if at all? Does it have 4 ports on the back and look similar to this http://networks.cs.ucr.edu/testbed/images/linksys.jpg

3. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Are you referring to the one I had in 2000? I don't know the answer to your question because I do not have that router anymore.

My questions revolve around the new Netgear router and how to make the other computer work in the other room. I don't know what to buy and Cox told me to buy a wireless n router, however, they seem to be what I already have and need a modem to plug into them.
    Do I need to return the Netgear N300 and buy something else?
    Thank you.

PS. yes, it was like the picture you showed.. a main router and the one you showed in the picture.
    Any suggestions re what I should do. Thanks

4. mladyraven

mladyraven Corporal

Got it, I have to buy a wireless adapter! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds