Creating a RAID volume after installing Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by Add|ct, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

I recently built a computer with 1 RAPTOR HDD. I want to buy a 2nd one and create a RAID volume. Does that mean I have to reinstall Vista with them already as a RAID volume? Is there any way to install the 2nd HDD in RAID mode with the original that Vista installed on, I only have OEM Vista Premium. Do I have a buy another OEM license?

Also, I bought a 1 TB Server hard drive for storage. If I simply plug it in will I be able to format it and use it? I've only built computers with 1 HDD and never built a system with RAID installed.

I have the DS3R motherboard from Gigabyte, it has 6 SATA ports with the southbridge ICH9R and 2 purple Gigabyte SATA II ports. Either would support RAID. I installed the original HDD to 1 of the yellow ICH9R standard SATA ports. I also plugged in a Blu-ray player to another one of those ports. Can I move HDDs to another port, other than the one it was installed on?

Sorry for being so wordy. Basically, is there a way to install RAID after setting up the OS on 1 HDD and now want to add an indentical HDD to mirror the original?

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You need to find out what sort of raid you require first.

3. Add|ct

Add|ct Private E-2

I would like to do the RAID that mirrors the 1st HDD to the 2nd HDD. I think its called RAID1 or RAID 0? Which ever one is mirror, not striped for performance(double the size). I want a backup for security not neccesarily more speed. If we can do RAID for more performance instead of security only in my situation I'm willing to do that too.

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Motherboards with nForce4 chipsets and the latest RAID 2.0 drivers can create a RAID 0 single disk array, even if Windows is already installed. This can later be "morphed" via the bundled motherboard software into
    a dual drive mirror ( RAID 1 ) or a dual or multi-drive stripe/mirror. However, your motherboard might not support this. You may be forced to re-install. If you do need to re-install, there is one thing that may be worth trying.

1. Get a low-level hard-drive backup program( GHOST, Acronis).
    2. Create a volume image across several DVDs or CDs.
    3. Reconnect your HDs to the purple RAID connectors.
    4. Do a CMOS-BIOS creation of the RAID set, you'd like, (RAID1 mirror)
    5. Configure GHOST to use only INT13 disk access. This is uber-important. Read the GHOST documentation.
    6. Use GHOST to rebuild your Windows across your new mirror set.
    7. Boot from the Windows Vista install disk and select "repair". Since Vista already "understands" RAID, I don't think any additional drivers are necessary.

If this fails - you could disable the RAID in CMOS, put your original drive back on the yellow connector and restore the original image to that drive, or just carry on with a new RAID1 install.:)

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Couldn't have said it more precisely. But don't use ghost, early versions won't handle Vista and the latest is known to be flaky.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds