ZoneAlarm problem and logging into Major Geeks problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by enc, Feb 11, 2006.

1. enc

enc Private E-2

Hi there,

I recently purchased ZoneAlarm pro. I've tried looking in their forums for help but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for. One problem I'm having is that even though I have checked the box to have Zone Alarm automatically run when I start up my computer, it still will not do it. And I have also changed the option on my Microsoft Anti-Spyware so it does NOT start up (because I believe that ZoneAlarm will handle the spyware now) but it still does. It is very annoying. Does this have something to do with system restore?

I also was wondering whether or not ZoneAlarm affects if images can be viewed on the internet or not. There is one website that I always go to that I can't seem to see images anymore but other people can. I don't seem to be having this trouble will some other websites.

And the last problem I am having pertains to logging into MajorGeeks. I will log in then go to a page but then when I want to view something else it logs me out and I have to go through the log in again. And it does this every single time.

Hope you can help. Thanks!!

Emily

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hey enc,
    If you are going to use Zone Alarm, just do a removal of the MS Anti-Spyware. You don't say if you have a virus application or not. You need one of those also.
    Once you remove MS, see if you still have a problem getting the images to display. Might need to adjust the configuration settings in the firewall for that site to be allowed to display.
    As to the log in problem, just tick the Remember me box above the Log in box when you first get here.

3. stingercrs

stingercrs Private E-2

You may want to get used to regedit and turn off the Microsoft Ant-spyware from there. Im just guessing here but you may find that it is this that is causing the ZA to not work.

I was having issues with trying to turn off Microsoft updates, when I set it to not start at start up it still did, I went into regedit and stopped it from there. make sure though if you do start messing with this to make back ups of the registry.

4. enc

enc Private E-2

Hi,

Okay, I uninstalled Microsoft AntiSpyware but ZoneAlarm is still not loading on startup.

I also went into ZoneAlarm and added the website under the privacy settings but am still not able to see any images.

And lastly, I did try the "remember me" box for logging in to MajorGeeks but it doesn't do anything.

Ahhhh!

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

5. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Possibly that MS AntiSpyware might have corrupted someting in the Zone Alarm.
    Can you uninstall ZA and then use CCleaner to clean out your files and caches. Here's the link - http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_d4191.html
    Then reinstall ZA and see if that works.

6. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

You should NOT have uninstalled Micro$$oft AntiSpyware.

Only ZoneAlarm Security Suite has spyware protection, and even then it's a good idea to keep MS AntiSpyware.

As far as having to log in again to a forum, that's because of ZA's cookie handling.

You can try adding MajorGeeks to your site list, or just turn cookie control off.

For the images problem, try the same web page with ZA not running to see if it's the culprit.

If it is, it's the Ad Blocking feature. Try playing around with the settings.

For the "not running at startup" problem, go to Start, Run and type in msconfig (I assume you don't have Windows 2000) and make check the programs in the startup tab.

7. BillC

BillC Private E-2

If you have the 'Load Zone Alarm at Startup' box checked in your ZA > Overview > Preferences panel and ZA is not loading at boot, then likely your ZA database is corrupt and should be reset. Reset the database this way; you will lose your customizations and will need to reconfigure Zone Alarm.

1. Boot your computer into the Safe Mode. {Instructions if needed}
    2. Navigate to the c:\windows\internet logs folder.
    3. Delete the backup.rdb and iamdb.rdb files in the folder.
    4.Reboot into the normal mode.

About your problem with sites. The Privacy advisor can help resolve the issue and allow you to customise that site for your use. You will need to go to the Privacy Panel and click on 'custom' in Cookie Control. Then go to the bottom and enable 'Show Privacy Advisor' click apply then ok.

Next go to the page in question and when the Privacy Advisor alert pops up, click on "Click here for details'' and it should take you to the Site List box where you will see the entry causing the problem. The name of the entry can be found in the "Entry Detail" box at the bottom of the page. Now click on 'options' and turn off the ones that interfer with the page. You may have to try several and then refresh the page until the issue is resolved.

8. enc

enc Private E-2

Hi!

What a pain this has all been. So first I uninstalled and reinstalled ZoneAlarm following the procedures on the ZA website. This basically did nothing. But now I'm finding that when I start up my computer and go to the Windows Security Centre, it shows that ZA is protecting my machine, but it does not show up as a running application and I still have to manually start it to have access to the control panel. Should I trust the Security Centre that it is running or trust the Task Manager?

I see that I have received some conflicting advice on having uninstalled Microsoft Anti-spyware. Should I reinstall it? ZA shows that my computer is being protected from spyware.

Lastly, I have completely disabled all blocking of cookies and ads to all sites. I tried to do it specifically for certain sites but it didn't work (despite trying it several times and several different ways). Is this harmful? Can I just use CCleaner every once in a while instead of having it continuously protected? I'm not sure if I'm even using the right terminology but hopefully you understand what I'm saying!

Thanks so much for all of your help people!!!

9. BillC

BillC Private E-2

Just uninstalling and reinstalling Zone Alarm will not always give you a clean database. Have you tried following the directions I posted concerning resetting your database? I believe this might very well solve your problems.

10. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

As I stated, only Zone Alarm Security Suite has spyware protection.

Cookie and Ad blocking isn't spyware protection.

Even if it did, you should still use Micro$$oft AntiSpyware.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds