Help please its easy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Pleeb, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Pleeb

Pleeb Private First Class

Im building a computer and its my first time so i just want to make sure my heatsink will work with my mobo here are the links to them motherboard
    and the heatsink
    i just wanna make sure it will work and the processor is a AMD Athlon XP 3000+

2. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

That heatsink should work with any of the AMD Athlon XP processors that use Socket A (462 pins) as long as there is sufficient space around the CPU socket. I'll leave the latter issue for someone who knows your proposed motherboard.

However, you might want to keep in mind that Swiftech is not on AMD's "recommended" list for CPU coolers. I've no idea what impact that would have on your warranty -- if any.

Click here if you want to see AMD's "recommended" list.

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

I must admit I did look at this particular heatsink myself about a year or so ago.

It does look very good indeed.

Points to note.

1. As Rob M said make sure that there is sufficient space around the cpu. Sometimes a 'poorly' placed capacitor on the mobo can make thing difficult.

2. Note that this heatsink (+fan) is very heavy and I read several posts and comments which advise care when moving the pc base with this hsf attached. Swiftetch revised their fitting bracket to the standard one shown. Previously this hsf was attached to the mobo itself by way of 4 screws. They changed the specs since a lot of the newer mobos do not have these 4 holes. It looks like your mobo does not have the holes either

I gave this hsf a miss myself and opted for the TT Silent Boost instead which is all copper.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ategory=0&minPrice=&maxPrice=&Go.x=19&Go.y=31

Good Luck

4. Pleeb

Pleeb Private First Class

thanks guys I went with the heatsink risk linked saved me about 10$ Lol i'll be ordering it tomorrow now.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

As Rob says worth checking on AMD site to see if non recommended coolers effect the warranty, I say this as the AMD64 come with a fan and if not used the warranty is nul and void. Also when it comes to fluff cleaning time these small pipes look a little more difficult to clean than the oridinary fins, (just and observation) as i like to clean my CPU fan and fins at least every 8 to 10 weeks with a very strong suction hoover etc.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds