Possible Software Problem (but hard to find ware is the problem)

Discussion in 'Software' started by KaisorSoze, Oct 9, 2005.

1. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Hello guys.

I was originally receiving help on what I suspected was a spyware problem, as you can check the link to see my progress.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74450

Currenlty, I am having problems with long boot times. It is taking anywhere from 50-120 seconds for my system to boot after the "Welcome" window. Of the known programs I have booted at the start (which include Dell Help, NIS, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, ewido, and my printer). All of those boot find except for NIS, which boots last and takes 35-50 seconds to boot after everything else. After I allow all programs to boot, I try to open Firefox using my desktop shortcut. Once I double click on that, it takes 30-40 seconds for a window to open up. I don't know what is the problem. Shadow Puter Dude has been helping me in the Spyware forum and recommended that I move my issues to here, as it seems to have a software problem. I am wondering if someone can assist me, as this possible software problem also could be the reason I am experiencing other difficulties with my PC (which is mainly discussed here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=73927 )

Thanks

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Noticed that you haven't removed NIS as SPD suggested! Please try this as NIS causes problems for a lot of people, but not all. I would go as far as asking to uninstall all of your Norton/Symantec products, run a registry cleaner and see if it makes a difference in speed.

Before doing what I suggested, should you choose to do so, please download one of the free antivirus and a firewall program from the downloads section of Major Geeks. Avast and Sygate do a great job for me! Delete Norton/Symantec while offline, and install the antivirus and firewall apps that you chose before going back online.

You might have a problem deleting all the Norton/Symantec programs, as they firmly entrench themselves in your OS. Symantec offers a tool for removal of these hard to delete remants, and I belive that it is available for download from MG.

Please try the above and see if it helps your speed problem. If you have the installation CD for Norton/Symantec, it shouldn't be any problem deleting the freeware alternatives that I suggested ( easily removed from Add/Remove Programs ), and reinstalling your presently installed applications. :)

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

4. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Novice

I took your advice and got the two recommended apps for anitvirus protection and firewall. My boot up decrease quite some bit, however, it is still laggin, especially when opening firefox. I will have to get use to these programs.

bigbazza

I have process explorer..I totally forgot all about it. I am not too sure how to use it though. Mainly I don't know what the colors stand for. I have one that is in dark red, is that bad. I am not sure if this software problem is effecting my ability to network on the net as well.

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Forgot to add that I use FireFox preloader on my systeem, it cuts the load time in half. :)

7. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

I have installed the fasterfox. It works better. I will give you all an update later on today. I am still configuring firewalls with sygate and setting up avast. Would anyone recommend any other firewall and antivirus programs. I heard zone alarm was pretty good. I think I am not gonna use NIS anymore, but I am looking for a good alternative. Also, I may need to clean my registry, any suggestions on a program. After all this is done, I will let yall know the performance of my pc. I know this is not the place, but I did not get much help in the networking forum on my connection. Any sites you all can recommend?

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

9. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Just to add, apart from ZoneAlarm, Outpost is excellent and higly recommended.

For cleaners, CCleaner and also RegSeeker, all freeware.

10. bigbazza

Don't know what you mean by colours? I'm using v9.12. Latest version (9.25), is available from MG.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html

Bazza

===

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The colours are equal to the types of processes running, eg. Pink = Services, Blue = Own Processes ( things like open IE windows, Firewall, Antipsyware etc )

if you click Options > Configure Highlighting it gives hint at what colours are for.

12. bigbazza

Couldn't find colours in my version. Is it a new "feature", in the latest version? Bazza

===

13. Insomniac

I have v8.52 and it has the colour feature.

14. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Hello Guys

An update on what been going on. I got rid of NIS and I install Zone Alarm for firewall and AVG for antivirus. I also picked up Sygate firewall and avast. After using CCleaner and Registry Medic I went into safe mode and did several adware and virus scans with the following: Ad-Adware, Spybot, Microsoft antispyware, g-remover, avast virus cleaner, stinger, aboutbuster, kill2me, cwshredder, hsremove, and aimfix.exe. After that, I defrag my pc a couple of times with Windows defrag(is it normal for some files to be undefragable???). After that, I install Zone Alarm Pro and AVG antivirus. My pc is booting much better than before(takes about 45-60secs), and Firefox is not taking as long as it was before (about 15-20) to boot. I was wondering, given the changes I made, are these times normal. I am on a 2 year old dell dimension 4600 with intel 4 2.4GHz with 80gigs.

15. bigbazza

Halo, I'm beat. "Options > Configure Highlighting", does not appear on the latest version (9.25), I installed the other day. Nothing even vaguely similar. I'm confused. Is that the exact path and tab? Bazza
    ===

16. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Funny enough I was on other PC and had old version 9.24 at the time but just installed 9.25 and its in same location,

Options > Configure Highlighting
    [​IMG]

KaisorSoze, YES perfectly normal for some files not to be defragged, normally they are locked system files etc,

45-50 secs is quite ok, yes some peoples PCs boot quicker but equally some boot slower!!

17. bigbazza

Apparently not available in W98SE version. Bazza

===

18. Insomniac

Out of sheer curiousity and boredom, I downloaded the Windows 9x version.

It obviously wouldn't work in XP, so I used compatibility mode and ran it under NT (98 wouldn't work) and the colour option is there.

Only thing I can think of is that it requires certain files, found in XP, for the feature to work?

19. bigbazza

Thanks Insomniac. I came to a similar conclusion after seeing your attachments. :cool: :) Thought I was going blind/mad, at first.:eek: Gotta keep taking the tablets. :D Bazza

===

20. Insomniac

KaisorSoze, one of the most effective ways to improve performance, as well as boot and shutdown times is to disable unneeded services in XP.

HERE is a very good guide, however, only do one at a time and leave it for a while.

21. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Thanks for the guide. I am going to try it out and let you know how it went. Off top, can you recommend any of the XP services I can live without?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds