Could this get any weirder?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by apw546, Mar 2, 2009.

1. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

Alright, so I have a notebook with a Linksys WUSB54GC wireless adapter and WinXP Pro SP2. For a while, I had internet working fine, and then I installed some updates for Windows, and it stopped working. If I try to use the wireless zero configuration utility, it tells me that it can't find any networks in range. However, if I use the Linksys utility that came with the adapter, it says "You are connected to the access point, but the internet cannot be found."

"ipconfig /all" gives me this output:

Code:
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : owner-zabltvupg
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . : 
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List . . : hsd1.[removed].comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.[removed].comcast.net.
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter
    Physical Address . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-10-65-3D-A0
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.102
    Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    DNS Servers. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.87.68.162
    Lease Obtained . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 02, 2009 3:19:54 PM
    Lease Expires. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 02, 2009 3:19:54 PM
    "ping google.com" results in:

Code:
    Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.
    This would seem to suggest a problem with the DNS servers. However, alternative DNS servers make no difference, and in either case, I can ping the servers, so it's not a connection issue. Also, "nslookup google.com" returns:

Code:
    Server:  cns.[removed].[removed].[removed].comcast.net
    Address:  68.87.68.162

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    google.com
    Addresses:  74.125.67.100, 74.125.45.100, 209.85.171.100
    Pinging the IP addresses works.
    I've tried resetting the winsock catalog and the TCP/IP stack, reinstalling the adapter, and safe mode with networking. Nothing I do seems to work, and I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be. Please help me.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

What updates did you install? Can you roll XP back to before you installed the updates?

3. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

It was Service Pack 3. I tried uninstalling the update, but it didn't help, and I couldn't use system restore because my restore points were corrupted. I can't even do a fresh install of Windows because I don't have the install CD, and I have no way of obtaining one.

4. juice

juice Private E-2

It looks a Lease time issue...
    The lease Expires @ the same time it is issued

Lease Obtained . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 02, 2009 3:19:54 PM
    Lease Expires. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 02, 2009 3:19:54 PM

Now Depending on what is issuing the Ip address will determine where the issue lies. It looks like you are using a modem/router combo is that correct?? If you are try powercyling it by unplugging the power waiting 30 sec plugging it back in. If you are using a separate modem and router do the same but plug the modem in first and give 15 sec before plugging in router reboot PC and check the lease time again. If it gives you the a same info let me know. also let me know if you are using a modem/router combo or separate units.

5. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

Actually, I think that's probably a typo. I had to manually type everything, since I can't copy and paste. Sorry about that. :-o I'm pretty certain that's the only error I made.

So, any other ideas?

6. juice

juice Private E-2

ok it could be a typo but it could be right do me a favor double check the lease time also let me know the questions i asked above it will allow me to help you better.

7. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

The lease time checks out fine.
    I'm using a separate modem and router.
    I tried your advice about resetting the modem and router, and rebooting, but there was no change.

I should probably mention we have two other computers connected to the same network (one is a laptop with Vista, and the other is a desktop with WinXP SP2). They both work perfectly.

8. juice

juice Private E-2

Perfect thank you.

Have you tried Hardwiring it to the router and seeing if you still have an issue? Also It looks like you Are using a wireless USB adapter you could also try unistalling and reinstalling it. Also if you disable the other wireless softwear and try the default XP wireless softwear what happens? What ip address are you getting?

9. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

I can't hardwire it because my ethernet port seems to be broken (physically, I mean).

I'd already tried uninstalling/reinstalling the driver, with no change. I hadn't yet tried uninstalling the Linksys software (because I figured disabling it in the services dialog would be sufficient), but I went ahead and did it, and it doesn't seem to have helped anything. I still get the same message about no networks being found in range. There are, however, some other strange things that the WZC utility is doing that might be important if you want to take the route of diagnosing the problem without the Linksys software (which I'm beginning to think might be a better way to go). First of all, I can't disable the device from the Network Connections window, and it can't "repair" the connection because it can't disable the device. Also, when I try to manually add a preferred network, the next time I open the settings dialog, there is no preferred network at all in the list, as if it is incapable of permanently saving the settings.

10. juice

juice Private E-2

Ok try this
    Open the Network Connections folder and right-click the Wireless Network
    Connection and choose Properties. What protocols do you have installed?

TCP/IP should have a check mark along with The other 3, uncheck it then click ok now do the same but recheck it - NOW ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE THE WINDOWS DISK - i have come across where tcp/ip cannot be reinstalled automatically after this procedure. Of you can reset tcp/ip from the command prompt by typing in > netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt - you wont need the disk for this one. does it work now if not try this.

1. Restart the PC, enter to BIOS setup by pressing F2 or Delete.

2. Go to Advanced settings.

3. There to Plug & Play O/S Option, and set it to Yes.

Now if you try to disable the network..it should work.

Lest see what happens from here

11. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

The protocols I have installed:
    Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Scheduler
    Network Monitor Driver
    Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)​

I don't have the Windows install CD. Do you think it would be safe if I did it after creating a restore point? Also, when I try "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" I get this:
    The following helper DLL cannot be loaded: DGNET.DLL.​
    I used the same command before, quite recently, and did not get this error, so this is a new problem.

And there's nothing about Plug and Play in the BIOS settings.

12. apw546

apw546 Private E-2

Quick update: the icon in the taskbar has suddenly started doing the little animation it does when it's connecting to a network, and when I hover the mouse over it, it shows this:
    Wireless Network Connection (linksys_OW_8049)
    Speed: 54.0 Mbps
    Signal Strength: Very Good

Despite this, I still get the "No wireless networks were found in range" message, and the the preferred networks settings' lack of persistence, and still I can't disable or repair. And the status never changes from "Acquiring network address."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds