Computer Internal Cleaning Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Harddriver, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Harddriver

Harddriver Private E-2

Hi

My computer needs relieving of several months build up of internal dust.

I have 2 questions:-

1] I've bought an air-duster can from a computer supplies shop. However I notice that as well as 'clean' blasts of air, the can also occasionally expels an icy cold substance which leaves an initial white residue wherever it settles [which slowly fades]. This usually happens when the can is tilted so I try to keep it straight, but it is very difficult to avoid tilting just a bit while working.

What is this substance - can it be harmful to my computer parts, such as the exposed circuit boards [which are dusty and need attention]?

I'm assuming it's something to do with the gas that powers the air-duster, and I have noticed this with every can I have used over the years so this is not just a faulty one - but is this substance safe to land on my computer components?

2] Rather than using an air-duster to 'blow around' the dust, I would much rather 'suck it out' completely - i.e. using a vaccuum cleaner. However I was warned a while ago that this might be dangerous to my computer [for reasons to do with electricity or static, I can't really remember].

This is the setup: my computer is fully disconnected and open on a table, I plug in and switch on my vaccuum cleaner and carefully point the plastic sucking nozzle towards the various computer innards. I do not touch any innards, carefully staying a few inches away from all the components as I work.

The vaccuum is quite powerful and does a much more thorough job at removing dust... but is what I have described safe?

Thank you for any help on this, I think I'll wait for answers before I proceed!

:)

2. 2-Bit-Geek

2-Bit-Geek Sergeant

When it comes to compressed air I wouldn't know but take a look at this thread & i'm sure at least you're second question will be answered :-D

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=192232

Hope this helps :)

:major2-Bit-Geek:major

3. A-Flat Miner

A-Flat Miner Private E-2

Hi,
    my first post/reply so go easy.

I reckon the white substance is ice, compressed air tends to cool things down very quickly when it passes over them. Ever been round the back of a beer delivery truck? You'll see ice forming on the pipes/equipment. Or it could be a propellant, which is normally fatal to the ozone layer and probably yourself if you sniff it! (not recommended), however i don't know why a compressed air can would have propellant.

As for the hoover thing, i hoovered my computer out last night and it still works ok. You can even get the fans to whizz round with the suction. I tend to use a dry one inch paint brush to gently brush the dust towards the nozzle.

Hope this helps.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You are not supposed to tilt canned air. If you need to get in somewhere, tilt the computer, not the air can.
    Also Never shake the can.

5. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

In addition to the Thread 2-Bit Geek suggested, take a look at this, My Latest And Greatest Computer Maintenance Guide. This was written by me, take a look at segment 7.

Good Luck.

6. A-Flat Miner

A-Flat Miner Private E-2

Moving on a bit, can a build up of dust cause 'sticking/freezing' problems through overheating? I was about to post a question about my mirrored RAID1 set up, it sounds like a hard drives failing, but after a good clean and a few squirts of switch cleaner, it hasn't frozen at all!! Just a thought.
    The hard drive makes funny clicking noise, shouldn't do that really.

7. A-Flat Miner

A-Flat Miner Private E-2

The heatsink was totally blocked by the way, i scraped the dust out with a fine screwdriver.

8. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Yes dust etc can do such things ... as far as the HDD goes ... checkout Segment 8 of that guide I linked you to. It's got some stuff in there about checking HDDs ... mind you, a HDD can still be faulty even if the tests show up its fine (the one in my laptop was) but it is rare.

9. A-Flat Miner

A-Flat Miner Private E-2

Drizzles, try that link again, i can't find it!

10. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds