RAM-does it have to be the same for optimal performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Dec 5, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Well to begin with, I got some Kingston value RAM for my Asus A7N8X-X mobo...and apparently got the wrong RAM (spoke to Kingston by phone).
    I mean it works fine and computer is doing alright, but the RAM wasn't made for this mobo.
    What I'd like to do is go from 512 to 1G, and my question is, should I get the exact same RAM I have now? Or could I get away with getting the "proper" RAM of 512?

2. jamcgriff

jamcgriff Sergeant

What speed is the ram 333 , 400, 266, They may have not tested that ram for the board you have but if it works with no errors than i do not see a problem, and it depends on what speed your processors FSB is generally you will whant to run the cpu 1 to 1 with the ram.

3. jak3y

jak3y Guest

HI Jam, the ram i got was KVR400X64C3/512.
    SO, 400, obviously :) hehe...running on AMD (Barton) 2500)...so any ideas here? thanks :)appreciate the help:cool::cool::cool:

4. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

I too am running a 400 FSB CPU (AMD 3200 Barton) and am using this without a hitch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...bb3r&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=12-2360001-2
    The RAM you're using has a cas latency of 3, where as the aforementioned RAM has a CL of 2.5, which is a faster module. Personally, I can't notice the difference between 2.5 and 3, but they say it's faster so I'll just have to take their word for it!! :) I can't speak on an Asus MB, but I'm using a GA-7N400Pro2 (Rev. 2) and Gigabyte boards are 'picky' as to matched RAM. In my opinion, I would try to match the module that you already have installed with an identical one. Same brand, same speed, same CL, etc. Then again, take into consideration that I am picky when it comes to my machine, I like everything to match, CPU, chipset and RAM.

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Just wanted to add, since I got off the phone with Kingston just now.
    My mobo wasn't made to handle the 400, but rather the 333(up to 2gigs max) or 266(if i want 3 gigs).
    She said I should get the KVR333X64C25-(512) and adding it to the other 400(which i have now) shouldn't be problem.
    The 400 will automatically clockdown to 333 anyway.
    Apparently they had problems with 400's running on this mobo, which I haven't. (knock on wood)
    So suggestions? Get another 400 to keep it consistent or get the actual 333?
    Thanks...

6. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Should be ok, standard Kingston Value ram http://www.valueram.com/support/InstallDDR400.asp but to be absolutely sure try get one with same specifications. They are not completely alike, C3 should mean CAS 3 and C25 like "KVR400X64C25/512" CAS 2.5. Well may be same module but with different programmed defaults. You really should look up these details on Google or some Asus forum, those with same motherboard will know. Yours does not support dual mode so will be easier to get 2 modules working together. Kingston is allways on Asus qualified Vendor list, I have not looked but will be surprised if this is an exception.

If you check out Asus download page for this model you see "Improve certain memory modules' stability." and "Improve system stability with Hynix and PSC memory modules." bios upgrade might make a difference, just keep that in mind should there be problems.

In case you didnt know you should try to run Barton 2500 as a 3200 cpu. Let it run at same speed as ram, 11x200fsb beats 11x166. Or 11x190, whatever works stable with a bit more voltage. Test properly and cpu will be better than ever.

7. jak3y

jak3y Guest

Hey Bambom thanks.
    I was told i could overclock my CPU, but not 100% comfortable doing it in the bios. (in case i screw things up somehow lol). But would like to try it.
    I mean, you lost me at the "Let it run at same speed as ram, 11x200fsb beats 11x166. Or 11x190,..." part...lol. I'm still learning the more I'm on here, how to tweak and use the BIOS.

Essentially what i got from your post was, get the same 400, seeing how it's already running fine on my computer now, right?

ps - I'm the same way like you, i like everything to match, so I just may get the 400 RAM anyway. :)

8. Bambo

Bambo Private First Class

Kingston Value Ram is just a brand, does not tell you which chip they use. And most likely they use more than one type. Notice the difference between KVR400X64C3/512 and KVR400X64C3A/512 I have some Kingston HyperX ram and I think up to 4 different chips have been used for that exact model. This is one of the reasons dual/twin packs are popular ;) Unless they screw up you get 2 identical modules. You wouldnt be much better off if you had very expensive super ram. Ram market not very transparent.

Save overclocking for later but at least 2100mhz should be a very sure thing with any Barton 2500. If you only have standard cooler you probably cant add that much extra voltage so perhaps the common 11x200 is too much. Then just use 11x190 or whatever. Ram will not be a problem since you have been wize and use pc3200 ram. So you need to find out how high you can oc at default voltage, at +0.025 or what is available. Keep eye on temperature at full load. You soon get the idea. At some point you need to add much voltage for little increase - that is when you stop and go backwards ;) Speed improvements compared to stock settings will be noticable - with 512mb more ram perhaps even dramatic in some games. So lets say you end up with 11x190 because you want to keep cpu cool 365 days a year. Then you start testing memory, not unlikely CAS 3 can run at CAS 2.5 for example. 2.5-3-3 should be possible, default might be 3-4-4 or something. Bios will have other settings for improving latency. Running ram at same speed as cpu is a must on NF2 if I remember correctly. "CPU Interface" should be "Aggressive", there will be more. You need to dig up some overclocking guide and definitely an Asus forum. Allways best to get advice from those with same hardware, about bios especially. Overclocking Barton 2500 is piece of cake though, that is for sure. Just test properly with right tools and there is nothing to it.

www.memtest.org has such a tool for testing ram. Possible your new module show errors at must work settings, then it should be returned.

Hmm, so I checked a forum for this Kingston statement about compatibility. Might not be entirely wrong. http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...8X-X+Motherboard&distributor=0&submit1=Search http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=3448585&postcount=1 http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?p=3444619#post3444619

So you take a little chance. Either that or get a whole new 2x512 set. Not like it wont work but not optimal. Anyway, as you can see they speak of "Value Ram" and some clearly state CAS2.5 model. Others say they must use Hynix chip instead of xxxx. As I said not transparent ;) Also this is not in dual mode and I doubt the general Asus warning goes for all NF2 models. Aimed at dual mode and at 200fsb. This thread mention your ram http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=294229&highlight=KVR400X64C3/512 still not sure. Seems "A" verision is the fixed one, much like HyperX by the way. Mine also said to be "incompatible" with NF2. Does work though, also in dual. Fire up Google or go ask on some Asus forum. Have the feeling you can do that until blue in the face so perhaps just risk the 40$. Can allways lower ram to 333/PC2700 speed and say I tried...

Should you investigate then pay attention to what people are having problems with - might be something else than memory and also only focus on experiences from those using latest bios, the one with most fixes - like I quoted in other post. Any good Asus forum should have this information.

If you think it will be wize to get A version since that is at least more approved by Kingston you think wrong. Im almost sure it use different chip than no A version and A + no A might not even work at PC2700 or any speed. I would get the old and perhaps troublesome chip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds