Network quit after McAfee install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jimfarb, Jul 28, 2007.

1. jimfarb

jimfarb Private E-2

Hi,
    I am in the process of replacing my old computer with a new one. The old one is running XP Home SP2 and the New one XP Media 2002 SP2. I have the two computers connected with an ethernet cable so I could access the files on my old computer and transfer them as needed. All was well until I installed a newer version of McAfee with: Security Center V. 7.2 , Virus Scan V.11.2 , Personal Firewall V. 8.2 and Site Advisor V. 2.4 on the new computer. Now I can't bring up the other computer in Network Places. I still have McAfee Security Center and Virus Scan 10 installed on the old computer. I get a message on my newcomputer that the other computer is not protected and to install McAfee on the other computer but I don't plan to connect it back to the internet after I complete my transfers.

If I Disable the Firewall on the new computer the best I can get is "limited conectivity" and if I try to transfer or copy files the connection will crash and corrupt files.

Are there any other suggestions before I uninstall McAfee on my new computer? I didn't want to transfer everything right away but I can and then reinstall McAfee and then just delete the things I don't need.

Thanks for any help.

Jim

2. janitor

janitor Private E-2

what firewall did you turn off?the windows xp firewall or the mcaffee firewall?try checking it out and the mcaffee security center.it must be the mcaffee configuration

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds