Gifs for avatar

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by psco2007, Jul 1, 2014.

1. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I made a .gif and it worked for another forum I go to.

When I uploaded to Majorgeeks - it doesn't work.

Advice please.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi check the size of the gif as in height+width, off hand there is a size limit to avatars, also may need to check we have not bared them as taking up too much server space and load time for forum and pages. We did ban large graphic signature lines because of this.

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

You mean it wasn't because it's annoying as hell? :-D

Size limitations: "The maximum size of your custom image is 64 by 64 pixels or 7.8 KB (whichever is smaller)"

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I was sure that was the reason! Ditto .gif anything, to be honest. It's neat for a second, but incredibly annoying when trying to read something elsewhere on the page. ;)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Cannot find anything of late as why .gifs are not acceptable, but it maybe from years ago, so if said .gif no work then we have banned it for a reason, likely speed of forum as a .gif would need to load the frames to run, hence many members with them would slow forum down.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds