Need some professional opinions from you guys...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ballsmcpeaches, Jul 3, 2014.

1. Ballsmcpeaches

Ballsmcpeaches Private E-2

So I'm completely new to this forum, but I figured you guys would be able to give me the most reliable and accurate opinions.

I just obtained an HP ProLiant ML350 g6 server with 26GB DDR3 of installed memory (144GB capable), 2x intel xeon Quad cores @2.13GHz, 2x 750w PSU's, up to 14TB of HDD space (I can put as much needed in it, I run a refurbished computer and hardware store.) and a p410i 256MB RAID storage controller. Also Dual Gigabit network controller and Lights Out integrated.

So my question is; should I sell the server or should I attempt to rent it out? How profitable would renting be? I have some experience as a server administrator so I know my way around maintaining a server fairly well.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Sell it.

I can't imagine anyone being interested in leasing a server that small. Either they will move to something virtualized like Azure that they can scale themselves as needed, or they will want something far beefier. Virtualization is the name of the game these days.

Now I could see a small company or individual being interested in purchasing it.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

I agree with Adrynalyne.
    My son is part of a company that rents virtual servers. They are always lower price and more expandable than a purchased server.
    But there are companies that don't want their server off site. They want to have an asset they can see.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I'd be the same as you are too small a business to effectively rent out server space, unless you are in a small town that needs that service, although a lot of work to maintain. I would as Adryn mentions sell this server off.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds