Print Share - XP to Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jan 17, 2010.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

I think I've done everything correctly, but I still cannot get this to work.

I followed this guide
    --> http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7589_102-0.html?messageID=2395292&tag=forums06;posts#2395292

(and I will copy/paste the gist of it below):

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

I hope this helps, I scoured many forums b4 finding this fix. Microsoft's support docs and HP's tech support were no help

Where am I going wrong, please?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Sorry for not understanding this, but are you asking for help with sharing the printer or are you checking the information?

3. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Sorry, I am asking for help...I feel like I'm only a click or two away from getting this to happen, but, as usual, I'm "stuck".

I have set the workgroups to the same name (MSHOME), have set things in the Network and Sharing Center of the Vista machine, and run the Network Sharing Wizard in the XP machine, but now I can not get the last part of theses instructions to "set" - the part where it says; "Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty".

At that point I get an error saying 'the path cannot been found' - when I try to use my respective computers and printers names.

Perhaps it's the 3rd-party firewall in the XP machine (which is Sygate) that is blocking me?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds