Mysterious upload bandwidth...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jocko_Homo, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Jocko_Homo

Jocko_Homo Private E-2

For a couple of days now, I've been experiencing some mysterious upstream bandwidth usage. Using something called FreeMeter, I can see that, at the very least, my computer is periodically uploading something to somewhere but for the life of me I can't tell which process is doing this or what data is being transfered...

Can someone help me out here? I'm afraid I'm rather stuck.
    Thank you...

2. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Had this problem with my son's computer. Turned out that he had automatically enabled peer-to-peer uploading when he downloaded a file on X-Fire. Happened on another program too - BitTorrent, I think. Check for any programs like this, and see if there is a universal option for disabling P2P (peer-to-peer) file hosting/sharing. Otherwise, check to see if you can manually disable hosting individual files.

3. Jocko_Homo

Jocko_Homo Private E-2

I'm not running any peer to peer file sharing programs so these are unlikely to be my problem. However, it looks like I may have discovered what my problem is...

Using a program called NetLimiter 2 Monitor, I've been watching my load and discovered that it was specifically msimn.exe (Outlook Express) that was sending the data upstream. It turns out that I had sent an e-mail with a 30MB attachment and my mail server would timeout on it, probably because the file is too big. Because my client is set to synchronize with the server periodically, it would continually try to upload the entire file only to have it timeout before finishing the upload, thus using up upstream bandwidth...

The only problem with this theory is that Outlook Express typically pops up a dialog box communicating this error but, of course, no such dialog box was present or I would have understood this problem a long time ago. Everything else fits the clues...

So, I will continue to monitor by bandwidth usage to see if this theory is correct but, so far, no bandwidth has gone unaccounted for...

Thank you for your help!

4. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

A new one and a good one!!! :)
    Thanks for update.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds