Printer not working in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbrass, Apr 16, 2011.

1. jbrass

jbrass Private E-2

Hello,

I just purchased an HP Pavilion p6732f (running Windows 7 64-bit).

I installed my old printer (Epson Stylus CX 4800) with the new drivers supplied from the Epson website which is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit.

The scanner works fine, but oddly enough, I cannot print anything, from any program! And the status monitor just hangs.

I have tried numerous things and believe the reason is the port. The printer is connected directly by USB and the port settings are on LPT1 port. Normally, I would change the port setting to "USB Virtual Printer Port" but that option is not seem available. Is there any way of fixing this issue? Any way of making that port setting available?

The only other thing that could be the problem is a defective cable... But I doubt that is the problem...

In help would be appreciated! Thanks.

J.

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

Is USB (virtual printer port) not available as one of the port types in the printers properties? If not, then one or more of your USB ports might be disabled in the system's BIOS.

3. jbrass

jbrass Private E-2

That's correct, USB (virtual printer port) is NOT available as a port in the printer properties. I checked the BIOS and all my USBs are enabled and on... And other devices work on those inputs!

So that i'm thinking it might be in the registry or something else...

4. jbrass

jbrass Private E-2

I have fixed the problem. Thanks for your time!

SOLUTION:

I removed the device, uninstalled all the software and drivers through device manager.
    Restarted

Then ran regedit and deleted all keys with Epson in them.

Followed by this.

Rebooted once again.

Reinstalled and voila!

5. michelsmith

michelsmith Private E-2

Following are some of the tips, which you must follow while you are using a printer with Windows 7 system.

Ensure that the cables are properly connected; you need to ensure that your printer is properly connected, and plugged in, and also the cable is accurately connected to the computer as well.

Check the power; make sure that the printer’s power is switched on, ensure that all the computer necessary computer components are also turned on.

Make sure that the hardware is properly plugged in, and also turned on. Apply troubleshooting.

A troubleshooter is a tool, which is generated automatically and which can easily fix the problems that occur with your system.

Thus, if you are coming across different issues related to your printer, then you can consult the troubleshooter.

You require driver applications to run your hardware devices.

Make sure that the drivers are not outdated, corrupt, or incompatible, resulting in disrupting the communication between the printer and the computer.

Always make sure that you are making use of the most recent and latest device drivers, and also that are compatible with your system requirements and specifications, as this can be extremely useful in resolving printer issues.

6. Momster

Momster Private E-2

Hiya J - TYVM for this. I know this is an old thread, but I just had HP (USB) printer die. (Win 7 64/Home Prem) Although we uninstalled old printer, new one would intermittently croak it - even though it "installed" correctly. Tried new USB/Printer cables, checked Services settings, tried different USB ports, bios, - no fix. Unresolved print jobs could not be deleted (even stop/start printer spool) and would tie up OS shut down. Hopefully this will be the permanent fix. Has been "driving" us crazy for days - is an office computer so this problem was killing me! KUDOS!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds