Advanced Windows Care

Discussion in 'Software' started by AlasKen, Nov 15, 2006.

1. AlasKen

AlasKen Private E-2

Do you know if you can run the current Advanced Windows Care in the background with Bitdefender, Zone Alarm, and Avast AV? I am currently running it on demand as needed. I also run Spybot S&D on demand but I am not sure how the Imunize feature works. I don't want to cause conflicts or system degradation. This is on an older Gateway XP Home machine with limited memory (128M). I have recently cleaned this machine from spyware, adware and viruses per MG malware forum and got a clean bill of health. I would like to keep it that way. Thanks in advance.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

While you are waiting on a more definitive answer, I run the current AWC on demand, only, usually daily. This seems to be good enough, for me, though.

According to Process Explorer, AWC uses 14,880K of RAM. You might not have enough RAM free to run this in the background without affecting overall performance.

I have plenty of RAM but still only run it on demand, manually.

WinPatrol only uses 5,492K. It might be a better program to run in the background.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

For the immunize question with Spybot. Quoted from the about:Help from spybot itself.

4. AlasKen

AlasKen Private E-2

Thanks for the replies.

bigbazza, will WinPatrol run with MS Bitdefender or would I choose one over the other? Sounds like I may give it a try. I appreciate the response.

theefool, do you know if Spybot S&D immunize function is working in the background even if S&D is not running? Is the immunize feature something that is added to IE 7or something else? I am kind of confused on the protection level if S&D is not running. The S&D help led me to believe that immunize was working whether or not S&D was running.

Thanks for the quick responses.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Spybot does not run in the background, unless you were running tea-timer, which you would have to check upon installation of spybot.

Immunize, basically, adds zones to IE, that are known bad sites to be blocked.

6. AlasKen

AlasKen Private E-2

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I did not install tea timer. Thanks for the reply.

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

AlasKen, I can't help you regarding MS Bitdefender as I don't use it.
    In fact I've never heard of it, until you mentioned it.
    WinPatrol keeps a good eye on what's going on in your PC and AWC is a great program to run offline.
    This is what I do and I am happy with those choices. Bazza

PS: Sorry for delayed response but 15+ hours time difference will do that. Baz
    ===

8. AlasKen

AlasKen Private E-2

Thanks, I appreciate the response. After running AWC and other software I finally have the 'puter running like it did when new, which is slow and kludgy, but much better than watching paint dry or grass grow. My best for the hard work you guys do with no reward. If karma is worth anything you should be sitting pretty as I sent all I could your way. Thanks to all on MG.

9. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds