Software problem maybe hardware problem (vid. of problem included)

Discussion in 'Software' started by USFSoccer, Jan 14, 2008.

1. USFSoccer

USFSoccer Private E-2

So I recently moved for my job and packed up my desktop. After 3 months of not using my desktop, I decided to hook everything up and give it a boot. It worked fine for the first 5 minutes, then after a shower, I came back and got a blue screen. I decided to hit the power button and since then it hasn't been working. It starts up, runs, then asks if I want to continue in "Safe Mode" (which doesn't make it work), "Normal Windows" (doesn't work either) or "Last Current Windows that worked" (doesn't work either). After that, it loads for a second, then restarts.

I have no clue if the movers were rough with my dell and thats why it isn't working. Or if it isn't working because of a software problem.

I decided to take video of it to show you guys exactly what is happening. Hopefully it'll help out in solving this problem. Sorry if the video takes a long time to load, I had to use my digital camera to shoot the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNjv1BLKn7g

Everyone here has been so hopeful before. Thanks in advance for your advice, and thank you all for the wonderful help you have provided me in the past. I have nothing but the fondest respect for you all.

v/r - USFSoccer

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Right when you see the Dell logo, start pressing F8 for the Advanced Boot Options menu. When it comes up, select Disable Automatic Restart After System Failure. The loading process should stop on a blue screen error. Make a note of the error number(s) and any file names and messages, then post them here. The blue screen is coming up, but it flashes by too fast to see it. Selecting Disable Automatic Restart will allow you to see the screen and write down the details.

3. USFSoccer

USFSoccer Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. Because of work, I am not able to fix or post back as quickly as I would like. Anywho, here is what the blue screen says:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Blah blah blah, then it goes on to say this:

Technical information:
    ***STOP: 0x000000ED(0x8979D900, 0xC000000006, 0x0000000000000, 0x0000000)

Any suggestions? You think something came loose? I opened it up last night just to make sure and everything looked like it was plugged in correctly.

Appreciate the help dlb!

v/r USFSoccer

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm not sure what is causing this, but it's a hard drive problem and hopefully it's fixable. And hopefully you have your XP install CD or you have the Recovery Console installed on the hard drive. Boot to your XP and enter the Recovery Console (or just boot into Recovery Console if it's installed) and run chkdsk. The exact command is chkdsk /r and you'll press Enter after typing in the command. Be sure to put a space between chkdsk and the slash /. This can take some time so be patient, I've seen it take over 8 hours, so maybe run it before going to bed. When it's done, type exit and press Enter and let the PC boot as usual. With any luck, it'll boot into Windows and all will be well. Here's more info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185/en-us
    You may also want to check your BIOS settings and make sure everything is set to Default settings or Fail-Safe Default settings; I'm not sure if Dell offers these in the BIOS, but if there's an option, use it.
    Good luck! and let us know how it goes!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds