DSL phone line, XP and fax machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mialisa, Sep 11, 2008.

1. mialisa

mialisa Private E-2

Okay, folks. I hope this is an easy one. I have a phone line with DSL from my local phone co.- used for internet only. I have a fax machine. Now, if I put the fax machine on the phone line with DSL, can i fax from my puter via the DSL/phone line to end up on another fax machine elsewhere?

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Your fax machine, which normally uses the phone line directly, must be decoupled from your DSL with a DSL/ADSL line filter. Take a look at the filter that's on your home telephone. Get another one for your fax machine. :)

If you want to use your computer to act as a fax machine, Microsoft has an interesting article here.

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

the first part of your queston is an easy one yes you can use the fax machine on a dsl line as long as the filter is installed. I'm a bit confused on the second part.

4. mialisa

mialisa Private E-2

Oy...I knew I couldnt explain my own question so anyone would understand me:cry
    Please bear with me while I make my feeble brain operate my maladjusted mouth (err, fingers)...
    I want to fax directly from my computer. (I gave up long ago trying to find a freaking modem that would work with XP Pro).
    I have a fax machine that will be using the same phone line as my DSL connection to the internet.
    Question then:
    Can I fax straight from my computer if there is a fax machine on the same phone line?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Are you also using this fax machine as a printer for the pc?

If so does it have any connection to the pc?
    If so do you have the manufacturer's software?

Microfilters have two ouput sockets, labelled DSL and Phone.

The fax machine (and your telephone handset) will not work if connected to the DSL socket.

The pc will not work if connected to the phone socket, except see below.

Originally Windows started out with the ability to send and receive faxes through the ordinary telephone via a modem.
    This is still possible but you can't use this facility simultaneously with you fax machine, any more than you can connect two fax machines to one telephone line.

Windows can also send and receive faxes through the DSL system, but you must have the appropriate software and 'internet' phone number.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds