Cooking thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by LauraR, Jan 9, 2014.

1. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

This is when I miss Augie. :( He was a huge cook and always had some wonderful ideas.

Today, I went to the grocery store and decided I was going to make fish. I am an avid cook and love it, and am actually very good at it. lol

I do not cook fish though. I order it out and do like the mild types, but it's not something I general feel like cooking...not to mention my family complains. LOL

Anyway, I bought Monkfish. All I can remember from it from my waitressing days was it was referred to as 'poor man's lobster'. All I can say is it's not cheap. It was $15 a lb.

I am making a Fra Diablo pasta dish with it. I found a recipe specifically for Monkfish and I love Fra Diablo, so figured I'd give it a try.

If anyone is interested:

from Cooks Illustrated:

Ingredients

• 1 pound monkfish fillet, cut into 1-inch pieces
    • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more, to taste)
    • 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons table salt
    • 1/4 cup Cognac or brandy
    • 4 tablespoons minced garlic (about 12 medium or 8 large cloves)
    • 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
    • 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
    • 1 cup medium-dry white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc
    • 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
    • 1 pound linguine or spaghetti
    Instructions

1. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil, covered, in large Dutch oven or stockpot.

2. While water is heating, heat 12-inch heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat for 4 minutes. Meanwhile, toss monkfish, half of red pepper flakes, 2 tablespoons olive oil, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in medium bowl. Add monkfish to skillet and quickly spread in single layer; cook, without stirring, until bottom of monkfish turns spotty brown, about 30 seconds. Off heat, stir to turn monkfish, and add cognac; let stand off heat until cognac warms slightly, about 5 seconds, and return pan to high heat. Wave lit match over skillet until cognac ignites; shake skillet until flames subside, transfer monkfish to medium bowl, and set aside.

3. Off heat, cool now-empty skillet 2 minutes; return to burner and reduce heat to low. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until garlic foams and is sticky and straw-colored, 7 to 10 minutes. Add remaining red pepper flakes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, sugar, tomatoes, and wine; increase heat to medium-high, and simmer until thickened and fragrant, about 8 minutes. Stir in reserved monkfish and accumulated juices, remaining 1 tablespoon garlic, and parsley and simmer until monkfish has heated through, about 1 minute longer. Off heat, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.

4. While sauce simmers, add linguine or spaghetti and remaining 1 tablespoon salt to boiling water, stir to separate pasta, cover, and cook until al dente; reserve 1/3 cup pasta cooking water and drain pasta. Transfer drained pasta back to now-empty Dutch oven or stockpot; add about 1/2 cup sauce (without monkfish) and 2 to 3 tablespoons reserved pasta cooking water; toss to coat. Divide pasta among warm serving bowls, top with a portion of sauce and monkfish, and serve immediately.

Anyone else into cooking? What's your favorite thing to make?

2. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I love cooking (and baking) and I don't necessarily have a favorite recipe because I love trying new ones and experimenting with the ones I have. I also love to experiment with spices and just made some really delicious curry beef in the crockpot with vegetables.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Laura, you can't 'make fish' only fish can ^^

How about a no cook recipe for fish, there's a few here, though probably not suited to these colder months when a warming bouillabaisse or fish pie might be more sensible.

Gotta say I enjoyed reading that recipe ;) and I hope it was a decent Cognac/Armagnac that was enjoyed later!

Well, how did it go down? Full description, including compliments or otherwise please!

4. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I am hugely into cooking...even have a Facebook page which primarily has my own original recipes posted on it (although not entirely, because I'm just not that good). I'd be really hard-pressed to come up with a favourite, but I think what I enjoy the most is cookies/breads at Christmas and my annual "ohmygod we're all gonna die if we eat that" birthday cake. :-D

That fish sounds really good, although being me I'd have to play with it a little (I primarily cook for my pre-diabetic mother, so carbs are not our friend). In fact, that's how I started the page, was because a bunch of people know I cook and don't have a whole lot of money, so they wanted easier, affordable low-carb meals. The hardest part was remembering to write down what I've done when I put something together, because I virtually never follow a recipe...or if I do, I tweak it almost beyond recognition.

5. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Nice recipe Laura, sounds delicious actually, and also...a strange coincidence. A friend of mine was only yesterday telling me about monkfish. He was explaining how meaty it is, and that alot of restaurants sometimes used to serve you monkfish when you had placed an order for lobster.

I am the cook in this house but I am still learning so much. I need more equipment to start baking cakes and such as.

One of my fave dishes is really really simple.

Cheese, potato and bacon pie. Serve it with baked beans. It's comfort food. :-D (Back bacon is best in this dish for more flavour)

6. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Laura, how did that dish of yours turn out? I want a review, NOT just a recipe!! ha ha...

Our kids discovered hand-cranked noodle-maker a couple of years ago, so we make noodles and pastas. Lately, it's been ravioli because the kids can 'hide' jalapeño slices under them, poisoning Hubby who'll go into his Ralph Kramden "I'm poisoned!" routines, staggering and hopping around the table, bugging out his eyes, and chasing the kids soon thereafter - only to sit back down and 'discover' a second bit. (He of course loves hot spicy foods. We have jalapeños for a reason.)

7. LauraR

Yummm...I just got a crockpot about a year ago. I haven't used it in a while though. That sound good. What type of beef did you use. My girlfriend was just telling me yesterday about the pulled pork she made in her's a couple of nights ago. Between yours and hers, it's motivating me to pull mine out.

haha...a very true statement. LOL

I do like cerviche. I've had it out at restaurants. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get any takers though if I tried to make it. I have made an asian tuna dish though that is totally uncooked. You get sushi grade Tuna (from a reputable fish market) cut it into cubes, marinate it in some Soy, fresh ginger, sesame oil, siracha, rice vinegar. Then layer that between cubed advocado and cucumbers. omg...its so good.

lol...I have no idea on the Cognac. I bought it for cooking right before Christmas. I would say it probably wasn't the best, but good enough for recipes.

That sounds like a great idea. I can't imagine no cooking with carbs. I love the Cooking Light magazine. They were doing some low sodium recipes that I thought sounded good, other than the low sodium part. LOL I had to add back the salt. I bet people love seeing your recipes for the no carbs.

I have to say that baking is not something I enjoy. I like adjusting recipes and you can't really do that too much with baking. Its too exact.

Omg...that pie you mentioned sounds really good...but it sounds like a heart attack! :-D Do you actually put it in a pie shell?

roflmao Too funny on the jalapeno trick. Sounds like your husband is a trouper. LOL

So the recipe was excellent. Nice and spicy but didn't burn your mouth too badly. My 15 yr old informed me after I told her it was 'poor man's lobster' that it did not feel at all like lobster. She did say it wasn't as bad as most fish, though. lol...that's a pretty big concession from her. The sauce with it was excellent. I think next time I'd make it with shrimp.

8. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Dammit, you guys are making me hungry - constantly! :yum

We always look forward to Thanksgiving and Christmas because of the various poultry offerings - not only the traditional dishes, but my wife invariably uses the leftovers for her chicken or turkey divan. Cheese, broccoli, celery and mushroom soups, and chicken/turkey - what a combination. Heaven on earth.

9. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Trouper? Oh yes... My dyxlexic reading while on a FISH thread made me think, "Grouper"! (Or in Hubby's case, Groper?).

Crockpots are another great one. Pot roast - get any cheap roast, because crockpots will take the toughest piece of shoe-leather and make it tender. And we love the 'stained potatoes and carrots' that occur when cooking veggies with roast - they get 'ugly brown stains' but the blended flavorings are so wonderful. We use 'new potatoes' (the smaller red ones) and I slice those in half, unpeeled, along with whole carrots, an onion or two sliced in half maybe.

Some crockpots require water or some juicing agent (can o' soup) to be added, other crockpots somehow draw out the roast's natural juices and cook everything in that.

I don't recommend slicing the onion too much (halving it, if that) because the onion will bake down into this mush-ball. If it's sliced up, I end up with sheets of onion-layers all over the place. In the baked-with-roast process, they donate all flavor to the dish, and lose their own so an onion-slab is rather muddy or mushy - not so appealing. Er, peeling? Er... well... so I like to keep the onions in halves so they can be set aside by those folks who aren't keen on faintly-onion-flavored mush.

To the opposite, potatoes and carrots seem to be wonderfully flavored by the 'stained by meat' process. Even if I'm using russet potatoes, we don't peel those, although I usually quarter-cut them into something bite-sized. Carrots are scrub-cleaned and tossed in whole, uncut.

Cauliflower is also a nice addition, although they donate their radish-y flavor away but retain their shape well enough, too.

10. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

It's actually not as hard as you'd think, you just have to adjust your brain. Crustless quiche, vegetables instead of potatoes (I make a killer cauliflower salad that we love better than potato salad), cutting back or eliminating breading, using beans or whole grains instead of pasta or rice...stuff like that. The goal set by mom's doctor is 25g carbs or less per plate for dinner (we do our own breakfast and lunch), which can be hard, but it's very possible.

The folks who follow the page seem to like what I'm doing. Not everything is a low carb recipe, but the majority are. I don't have a huge following yet (just started the page in August), but I figure if it's out there it can help someone. I was totally at sea when I had to change from potatoes and pasta several nights a week to having them at most twice a month, and I figure I can't be the only one who needs a little help. :)

11. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

I love my crockpot, it's one of my most favored machines.

The grocery I bought this from labeled it as - beef chuck (cubed)- but it's been labeled as - beef, stew meat-. It's a little bit of a tougher cut but the crockpot will soften that meat right up.

Want to make a 5 minute BBQ chicken dinner?

Get some chicken legs (or whatever kind of chicken you want) and bottle of BBQ sauce.
    Pour BBQ sauce liberally over chicken and set crockpot on low for 8 hours.
    Result is soft, tender, fall off the bone BBQ infused chicken! I've made this a few times and oh man, it does not last long!

12. Kestrel13!

Hi Laura, it is a bit of a naughty dish. The sheer amount of taters, cheese and bacon... yum. There is no pie crust/pastry or shell to speak of.

• I use a oven proof dish (not too large) enough for two, I peel about 4 or 5 good size spuds, get them on the boil.
    • I fry the bacon off a while later after dicing it into little pieces. As mentioned, back bacon is tastier but more unhealthy.
    • Mash up the potatoes, with butter, add a little cream to taste, add a large amount of grated cheese, in with the bacon, salt and pepper, a little garlic, and to top it all you can add a little more cheese & thickly slice up some tomato and layer it on before shoving the whole thing in the oven on about 190-200 degrees (fan assisted) for about 20 minutes or until browned off.

Heart attack on a plate. best served IMO with Baked Beans. :-D

NOTE: You can pretty much chuck in that pie what you want, you could add mushrooms for example or peppers.

13. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hell of a good idea Laura, for a thread and I'm making a larger and ale batter for onion rings to go with a steak later, so if it doesn't taste like crap, I will post the recipe.

14. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

I can see this thread is getting dangerously out-of-control. NOW you've brought up desserts and batterings for onion rings? Have you NO shame?!! NO consideration for your fellow man's waistline?!!

Personally, I think the computer industry is so screwed up. No one's seriously working on the real FTP - Food Transport Protocol - yet everyone I've ever talked to has said, "Now THAT would be the REAL downloadable!"

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey I look after my own waistline...kinda guess some not only should not be let loose on a PC, they should not be let loose with food :)

Weirdly I like reading new recipes as different areas, countries have various different foods and I like to experiment. Ohhhh I love fish so Laura your post is awesome.

16. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Lately I've been really into steel-cut oats, and making savory side dishes out of them. They're relatively low carb, but very tasty and take the place of carb-heavy starches quite nicely. You just have to wrap your head around eating savory oatmeal instead of sweet. This was what I came up with tonight:

2 cups water
    1/2 cup steel cut oats
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
    2 tablespoons currants
    1/4 cup feta cheese

Step 1
    Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan.

Step 2
    Add oats and salt, cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 5 minutes.

Step 3
    Add garlic powder and parsley, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Step 4
    Stir in walnuts and currants and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Step 5
    Serve topped with feta cheese crumbles.

*Feel free to use dried cranberries, figs, or other dried fruits instead of the currants if you'd rather.

17. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

I cook Steel Cut Oats in a small crock pot overnight, they are ready when you get up in the morning.
    25g carbs is a very low carb count. The diabetic diet allows 45-55g carbs per meal. I need to check out some of your recipes. Looks like you know how to keep carbs low. Can you link me to your page where you post recipes?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  18. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

KatKat, we do the same for morning 'gruel', which is our kids' preferred name for about any heated morning cereal. This way, they're in class and 'complain' that they've been forced to eat 'gruel' again. A few teachers reacted with the hoped-for look-of-shock, expecting our little urchins to also be selling papers on busy street corners. Alas... no such luck - we may never become kajillionaires off of those two!

Hubby's also forced them into eating fish-eggs-and-spider-bellies (Cajun red beans and rice), and coyote tails (sausage or hot-dogs wrapped in tortillas). I was a bit too girly to appreciate 'gross out' food names but apparently, Hubby was in-tune with this and the kids and their friends often go out of their way to find new names for old foods. Eggplant, cauliflower, broccoli all get new, spine-shuddering, gulp-worthy double-take monikers.

19. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

The reason why I have to keep dinners so low is her doctor is trying to keep her off meds (so far, so good), and that's the only meal I make for her, and she is really bad at it. In her mind, if she's eating crackers instead of bread, then it's low carb. Ditto eating sourdough English muffins instead of bread, or brown rice instead of white. I don't always make the goal, but I'd say four meals out of seven I do.

Not sure I can post a link (feels like advertising, even though it's just a Facebook page and I don't make any money off it), so I'll send you a link. :)

20. Anon-9aee479f8f

Taking a look. Thanks, I need some new ideas for meals here.

21. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

I'm going to have to try Kestrel's crustless bacon pie. Sounds deliscious!

Dinner tonight is slowcooked chicken breasts. I put them in the slow cooker with one cup sweet chili sauce per chicken breast, and cook them on High for a couple of hours.

I'm going to make my first ever sourdough starter tonight, and will hopefully be able to bake with it next weekend. I'm very excited. :)

22. Anon-9aee479f8f

Mimsy this recipe sounds very similar to yours only yours would be easier. A friend sent it to me last week and I have not tried it yet but it sounds good.

Sweet Baby Ray's Crockpot Chicken

4-6 chicken breast
    1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's sauce
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    Mix everything but chicken
    Place chicken in crockpot (frozen is ok)
    Pour sauce mixture over chicken
    Cook on low 4-6 hours

23. Mimsy

I am so trying that next.

The mix of spices in your recipe is very similar to what usually ends up going in the slowcooker with the pork roast when I make pulled pork... though i would probably have added cumin and cinnamon for good measure. :)

24. Anon-9aee479f8f

How much cumin and cinnamon would you add? Love pulled pork! Do you cook the pork all day in the crock pot? And do you put the sauce in at the beginning or after it cooks?

25. Mimsy

I put in the meat, then seasonings, and turn it a few times so the meat is evenly covered by all the flavors. Then I set the crock pot on Low before I go to work in the morning, and the meat is done when I come home in the evening, ca 10 hours later.

As for the amounts of cumin and cinnamon, I guesstimate those. I typically mix the seasonings and sauces separately before adding them to the meat, so I simply add and stir until it smells right, if that makes sense.

26. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Bacon pie...:drool

Not a great cook, but learning slowly.

Don't know where I got this idea, but it is a tasty little dessert.

Take some sliced almonds, toast them in a skillet in a little bit of butter.
    Grate up some chocolate of your choice.
    Add some honey to the almonds when they are toasted, add the chocolate. Once it melts together, spoon it out onto a pan in small spoon sized pieces. let it cool, and you are good to go.

Red pepper is great added if you like the sweet/spicy taste. Cinnamon is good as well.

Sausage balls: I got this from a friend on another forum.

Get some ground sausage, shredded cheese of your choice, and Bisquick. Sage, pepper, garlic, and spices of your choice.

Mix up the sausage like you are making hamburgers. Add the spices, and cheese. I mix in some milk. Add the Bisquick until you get a consistent texture.

Make balls about half the size of a golf ball, and bake them 350 degrees for 20 mins or so until done. I do tend to overcook ground meat...

Extra points if you wrap them with bacon... :drool

I miss Augie.

27. Kestrel13!

You're a brave lady, Mims. :-D

28. LauraR

Omg....I think I just gained 10 lbs while reading this thread!

I had to look up what steel cut oats were, but sounds good. Actually, savory sounds better than sweet to me...but then I don't eat breakfast.

I will also be getting my crockpot out this week. Between all the slow cooked stuff everyone was talking about, its put me in the mood. Besides, its been so cold here, it seems like perfect weather. I think I'll try a chicken recipe in it.

After 10+ years on here, I think you are fine to post a link to your Facebook page if you would like. ;)

In other words, go for it (if you want).:)

Agreed...it sounds like a stuffed baked potato, but much better!

Yay on the bread. I just made crusty Italian bread for the second time. Easy, but omg, is it time consuming. You have to start it by making the 'biga' the morning before. Then with all the rising and turning its a two day process. Holy moley is it good though. I buy some really good Irish butter to go with it.

You'll have to let us know how your sour dough comes out.

I am totally doing this recipe in the crock pot. Sweet Baby ray's bbq sauce is the best for anyone wondering....at least as far as jarred. That just sounds wonderful...and easy. Thanks. :)

E...those chocolate things sound great! You came up with that yourself? I'm going to try it. Between the honey and almonds...jeez.

and yeah, I miss good old augie too. He was a wonderful person.

29. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Augie and I used to cavort in the WAYLT threads (the older ones, especially) - the man loved his music.

For you moms out there who need an easy afternoon snack for the kids, try this:

Pizza Potatoes

1 pkg. scalloped potatoes w/ seasoning
    1 can (16 oz.) tomatoes
    1 1/2 cups water
    1/2 tsp. oregano leaves
    1 pkg. (4 oz.) sliced pepperoni
    1 pkg. (4 oz.) shredded Mozzarella cheese

Heat oven to 400F. Empty potato slices and pkg. of seasoned sauce mix into ungreased 2 qt. casserole dish. Heat tomatoes, water and oregano to boiling; stir into potatoes. Arrange pepperoni on top and sprinkle with cheese. Bake uncovered 30-35 minutes. Serves 4.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  30. Kestrel13!

My Daddy bought me a slow cooker for Christmas! Not used it yet. I really do want to try it out soon though! Never used one before.

He also bought me a soup/fruit juice maker!

31. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

I love my crock pot! I use it summer or winter, several times a month. In summer it cuts down on heat in the kitchen, which is very handy in a house with no A/C.

I had to look them up myself when mom came home with a box of them, and while I've tried them as sweet oatmeal for breakfast I don't like them as well. However, as a savory side dish? We've had them four times in the last three weeks. LOL

Thanks for letting me post the link! I figured, but it's so ingrained that you don't promote things on a forum without paying to advertise that it felt weird. ;)

This is me, if anyone wants to check it out:
    https://www.facebook.com/BethsEssentiallyHealthyKitchen

All recipes are not necessarily mine (I provide a link to where I got them or mention it if there isn't a link), but they are all made either in my kitchen or in a friend's or family member's. All the pictures posted are mine, taken just prior to eating (If you follow the page, you'll get very familiar with my dishes and countertops LOL ). I don't steal recipes or photos like a LOT of Facebook pages do. :-D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  32. Kestrel13!

Sgt Tibbs! There's some beautiful recipes on there. I have been on and 'liked' that bad boy! :-D

33. Sgt. Tibbs

Sgt. Tibbs Ultra Geek

Thank you very much! :-D

34. LauraR

I've got katkat's slow cooker bbq chicken cooking right now and omg, it smells good. :drool

I actually really like dark meat chicken better than white, so I was going to buy thighs. The store had 3 halves of roaster chickens on sale for about $6 so I got that and cut them up. I'll have to see which pieces come out the best. I'll let everyone know how they come out.

Oh, and Fred...if you look at his thread again, I bought semi sweet chocolate to try you chocolate things out as well. :)

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I'm so glad so many are participating in this thread.

35. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I highly recommend the semi sweet chocolate. I mean, you got honey to make it sweet.

Can't claim I did not see something like this before, but I was toasting some almonds, and started thinking some honey would go good on it, and then I had some chocolate laying around, heck almonds honey chocolate, hard to go wrong there. I really like them spiced up with some pepper. They are messy but tasty.

I like to buy local honey. Supposed to help with allergies. Makes sense, the local bees mess around with local pollen.

36. Anon-9aee479f8f

Oven Ranch Chicken

1/3 cup Progresso Plain Bread Crumbs
    1 pkg (0.4 oz) Hidden Valley Ranch Salad Dressing Mix
    1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Heat oven to 375°F.
    I cover Cookie sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean up.
    Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. I use Pam.

In shallow dish or pie plate, mix bread crumbs and dressing mix.
    In another shallow dish or pie plate, place sour cream.

Dip each chicken breast in sour cream, coating well, then roll in bread crumb
    mixture; place on cookie sheet. Spray chicken lightly with cooking spray.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crispy on outside and not pink in the middle.

37. Mimsy

I'll be happy to. :)

The starter seems to be coming along nicely, behaving exactly as the recipe says it should after the first day. I'll post the recipe after I've verified it works and makes good bread.

38. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Stupid question on my part. Do you flip them half way through? If not, why spray the chicken with the Pam?

39. Anon-9aee479f8f

Spraying chicken with the Pam helps it get crispy I think. Turning them over will also but sometimes I forget to. If you don't mind adding calories you can also drizzle with melted butter before cooking.

40. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

MMM, butter... Maybe wrap it in bacon too? ;)

41. LauraR

I got the semi sweet Ghirardelli. I'll probably try them this weekend. :)

Okay...so that Sweet baby rays bbq chicken in the slow cooker was extremely good. Out of all the chicken, there was not one piece left. My youngest went back for more after I only gave her a drumstick.

42. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Here's an open face book group my paternal uncle started. 'Sikandalous' Cuisine, pun intended on our surname.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sikandalous/

I don't think he expected the group to grow so fast upto 13k members. No need to join, join only if you wish to post a recipe or question.

Main rule if you post a recipe add a picture of the dish. Picture should be of your creation and not lifted of the web.

Its a confusing site to navigate as albums were not set up early. Click on the picture Tab and see what you may like the look of.

Cheers..

43. ChristineBCW

ChristineBCW Corporal

Sik, I'm too frightened to even look at this site. I grew up in London, and always loved the Indian cafes. Chutneys, curries, everything else. Curries, I can find occasionally. I never find AS GOOD of chutneys, though.

I might start mainlining them if I could find recipes for favorites. I am simply too cowardly to look.

44. Anon-9aee479f8f

Quick Taco Pie

1 Pound Lean Ground Beef
    1 can Refried Beans(I prefer using whole canned beans either pinto or red beans)
    1 cup Salsa your choice of Mild or Hot
    2 cups Shredded Iceberg Lettuce
    2 large Tomatoes, chopped
    1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
    1/2 cup Sour Cream
    Frtito Corn Chips or chips of your choice

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat until browned, then drain.
    Heat beans in same skillet till hot. Then heat salsa to warm.
    Layer chips, meat, beans, then salsa in one pie plate or individual serving dishes.
    Arrange lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, and sour cream on top of beef mixture,
    and serve immediately.

Options: Cooked Shredded Chicken can be substituted for beef also could add chopped onions and peppers if you like.

45. Anon-9aee479f8f

As I said when I posted this recipe I had not yet cooked it but my friend gave it rave reviews. Today I am fixed it and I believe it is a winner. I did add a bit of cinnamon as Mimsy suggested but did not have cumin.

46. LauraR

As mentioned, I did cook it and it's very good. Thanks for the recipe. Honestly, you don't need to add anything since its excellent and easy as is, but I'm sure mods would be good as well.

47. Anon-9aee479f8f

Mine was done in 4 hours on high so if you want to cook it all day while at work then cook it on low. You can always turn it to high when you get home if you feel you need to. My chicken breast were not real thick or as large as some might be but they were partially frozen when I put them in crockpot.

48. Mimsy

I cooked it today, and actually did not add either cinnamon or cumin. I prefer to follow the recipe the first time I make something new, and to make adjustments from then on. For this one, I plan to use a hot and spicy barbeque sauce next time, for extra kick.

Partially frozen and larger than average chicken breasts, cooked on low for about 5 hours (in a 3-quart crockpot).

49. Mimsy

Shredded the leftover chicken breasts and stir fried them in barbeque sauce. Good dinner with rice. :)

Took the leftovers of that dinner, scrambled a couple of eggs, and put the whole thing into a pita bread for breakfast this morning.

50. Kestrel13!

Tonight, we pretty much said screw it, and had hot dogs on cheese and onion bread. :-D With onion rings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds