how do i activate my second hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by some newb need to learn, Apr 30, 2005.

1. I put it in my computer and xp knows it's there it shows up in the device manager but i can't use it. My friend who knows alot about computers tells me i gotta activate it and i need a boot disk with some program called fdisk on it. what exactly am i supposed to do with it i need some instructions i don't wanna screw around and mess the whole thing up

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

your friend is partially correct--the drive needs to be formatted--however this can be done easily through windows.

go to your control panel and open Administrative Tools. from there, open Computer Management on the left, and under that, Disk Management (Alternatively, go to start>run and type Diskmgmt.msc )

in Disk Management, you can right click the new drive, create a partition, and format it (use NTFS if possible--in Windows 2000/XP it should be default)

once windows completes this, you will be able to use the drive.

3. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

Is your logical disk management service turned on?
    Control panel>administrative tolos>services>Rightclick logical disk management and properties>ensure its set ot automatic.
    Also try control panel>administrative tools>computer management>storage>try to format it from there.

(Use the classical view of control panel to get administative tools or you can go via performence and maintenence)

4. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

InYearsToCome beat me to it,dint mean to repeat it.

5. sweet it worked thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds