Can see wireless network, but can't connect

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mlewis, Sep 23, 2005.

1. mlewis

mlewis Private E-2

Was staying with my gf this weekend who recently has had a wireless network installed with a Belkin router. Noticed she had an unsecured network, so volunteered to set up a password on the network.

Changed it to WPA-PSK security, and as soon as I did that the laptop began refusing to connect under the secure or the old unsecure set up. Using the Windows wireless client, it just says "Wating for Network to respond" then times out (dialog box disappears) after a bit.

Laptop is a Dell Inspiron, with Windows XP and up-to-date Wireless drivers. Other machines on the network have no problem connecting.

I'm lost to explain it to her- help! Have done the obvious of double checking passwords and made sure drivers were right.

Ask if more details needed. Many thanks!

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

As long as your G-Friend has SP-2, should be able to set it up for PSK. If it does not have SP2 on it, it will never connect with PSK.

Try removing the connection from Wifi Advanced settings, and then go back in and set it up as a Preferred connection with the WPA-PSK key, and plug in the correct key (Case specific).

3. mlewis

mlewis Private E-2

Have tried resetting the router, but no effect. Running SP", and checked that it has the WPA function- it does.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds