Need help FAST!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by clickk, Feb 2, 2006.

1. clickk

clickk Private E-2

I was attempting to oveclock my CPU just now, and I think I was a little over aggressive on the overclock... My computer rebooted itself after I changed the settings, but since then, nothing loads on my screen. My computer turns on no problem... I can see my LED lights and I can hear all the fans running. My monitor also flickers and I see a light grey shade (sort of like... you know the monitor is turned on, just that there is no image)... I've tried turning my computer off and letting it just sit for half an hour in hopes that it'll start up just fast enough for me to change my settings back to normal (very n00b strategy :D) but that didn't work... I've also tried letting my computer just keep running for half an hour but that didn't work either...

Can someone help me quick please? I'm using my laptop right now which is fine, but a dead desktop sure as hell isn't what I would want =\ Oh, and if this affects anything, I don't have a floppy drive on my computer, so if someone was going to suggest doing something with my BIOS with the use of a floppy, that will not work...

2. clickk

clickk Private E-2

I don't like to bump but someone please help... this isn't really an issue that I would like to wait to have it resolved... Here are some information about my computer if that would help at all:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000-L
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz (attempted overclock to 3.1GHz)
    RAM: 2x512MB DDR400
    Video Card: 128MB Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro
    Hard Drive: 80GB Maxtor

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I attempted that overclock... My computer temperature was running at only 30`C while I was playing games, so I thought that maybe I could OC it a lot without having to worry about overheating... I forgot that temperature wasn't the only factor in overclocking.... Please, is there any way to reverse this problem? PLEASE HELP!!!!! I don't want to spend money on a new CPU as I was actually looking into an iPod... I don't want to spend my iPod money on a new CPU :(

3. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

try resetting bios by disconnecting the power and you should have a jumper to clear cmos or remove battery for a few minutes. hope that helps

4. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Have you tryed clearing the CMOS ???? BTW this should prolly go in the overclocking forum ;)....[EDIT] ibbonkers beat me to it :D....

5. clickk

clickk Private E-2

Sorry about it being in this forum. I wanted to get this posted ASAP.. But ummm yeah.. how do I clear the CMOS? Seeing as both replies suggested that I'm going to try that way first.

6. ACE 256

Just a sec...gatta DL a PDF reader and the manual.... ( internet is slow for some resion here :rolleyes: ).....

7. clickk

clickk Private E-2

Don't worry about it, I just searched it up and google and noticed that resetting CMOS was exactly what ibbonkers suggested I do (the jumpers or removing the battery)

8. ACE 256

Move the jumper to the " clear pass " position ( im assuming the CMOS clear jumper and the "clear password" jumper are the same thing ) and take the battory out and unplug the system... wait for 15mins ( to be safe 1 min should be more then enough thow normaly ) then power the system back up and every thing should be back to stock........

Attached Files:

9. clickk

clickk Private E-2

HURRAY IT WORKED!!! Thank you sooo much I love you guys ;D

10. ACE 256

lol glad ya got it working :).......

11. clickk

clickk Private E-2

Yeah thanks so much :D I've overclocked it to something safer now (2.8GHz) and I'm running a Prime95 torture test. Thanks again for all the help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds