Reading slow router speeds...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dell1705user, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dell1705user

dell1705user Corporal

ISP: NTC
    Router: Linksys

Question: I live in a two bedroom apt. The wireless router is in the roommate's room right next door. We are both connected wirelessly. Why is it that his speed is reading 54.0 MBps and I read between 11.0 and 24.0 constantly? It's irritates me to no end.

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Could be a bunch of different things.
    Router placement - higher off floor is better.
    Wall construction.
    Interference from other electrical items - especially 2.4 Ghz phones.
    Solid furniture items in direct path.
    (Wireless gremlins - :D)
    Try different placements of router and comp to see if that helps.

3. dell1705user

dell1705user Corporal

The thing is, there was an exact same type of router being used last year and there was no problem... 54Mbps everytime. The only thing that's changed is the router was moved about 5 ft. Could that little change in distance effect the speed that much?

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Wouldn't think so.
    How about trying a different channel?

5. Bobdrakke

Bobdrakke Private E-2

Well your roommates connection would be faster if its in the same room.

They only thing that surprise me is the drop in speed how thick are your walls? what channel are you using? and how many interefering objects are around computer e.g celluar, cordless phone or console controller, Tv, etc.

6. dell1705user

dell1705user Corporal

This would seem the obvious, but again, other than placement of the router itself (difference of about 5ft.) nothing has changed at all. When I last hooked up to it... approximately 4 months ago, he was running 54.0 and I was as well. If I had to guess, the walls are probably 6" in width. But I don't see how that matters if before, with all the same walls, cell phones, etc. in the way, we were both running equally fast speeds.

7. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Why not do some testing through experimentation? Try moving the router. What about moving your computer into your roommate's room and see whether that affects your speed? What does your computer show for signal strength?

8. dell1705user

dell1705user Corporal

I'm showing Excellent Strength all the time. I'll ask him to move the router around and see if that helps any. I'll let you know the results.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds