Chkdsk and why?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

I am running Windows XP on a fairly new system and had a slight problem earlier today:
    While my wife was working away in Photoshop with her recently downloaded graphics, the system 'froze up' for a minute, then rebooted itself.
    After shouting for me to come and help her, all I noticed on screen was the Chkdsk scan starting and that the Volume was dirty.
    Then after trying to log in again, there were no icons on the desktop, so I rebooted into Safe Mode and did AVG scans and they were fine. :)
    Then back into Normal mode and Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Application/Event Viewer and copied the log.
    It looks like the problem has been sorted out, but does anyone know what causes this to happen? Is it a case of 'dodgy' graphics being downloaded or is it something within the workings of Windows?
    I have attached the Event Viewer Log so that you can see what I am seeing!

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Chkdsk lists and corrects errors on the disk. It was a corrupted file that caused the shutdown. Your report doesn't seem to show anything serious. Chkdsk may have fixed whatever it was that caused the shutdown.
    This is what MS says about your event ID and source.
    Microsoft Windows encountered corrupted file-system metadata during the last Windows session, so Windows marked the file system as “dirty” (corrupt). Windows ran the chkdsk /f command during startup in an attempt to repair the corrupted file system metadata.

3. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks for the prompt reply Musky :)

Can I still Blame my wife for crashing the computer :D

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

But of course. I left out part of the MS answer. Here is the full version:
    Windows ran the chkdsk /f command during startup in an attempt to repair the corrupted file system metadata, caused by your wife. [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds