acer aspire one zg5

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by d8mop, Feb 18, 2011.

1. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

Hi there, i have just bought a faulty aspire one zg5. It boots past acer logo comes up allowing me into bios then the following screen appears.
    Info about cpu
    for realtek ethernet controller
    pxe-e61 media test failure, check cable
    pxe-mof exiting pxe rom
    no bootable device

I have created a recovery usb and tried that, no joy. Certain forums are suggesting a bad hard drive, my bios can see and recognise hard drive, please help.
    Thanks in advance, damian!!

2. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

Well, the drive may be good. But no operating system on it.

Did you buy it new from a store?

3. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

No i bought it off ebay, it has all manuals and recovery dvd, to install linux, i cant find a solution anywhere!

4. Baxter Stockman

Well, have you tried to install an operating system on it?

5. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

yes i used the the linux recovery dvd

6. Baxter Stockman

Does it bring up errors?

7. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

yes it does,
    pxe-e61 media test failure, check cable
    pxe-mof exiting pxe rom
    no bootable device

8. Baxter Stockman

So you've selected a boot device as the DVD Drive? Or is it still set to boot to the hard drive?

9. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

no dvd drive, it is a netbook, set it to usb drive tried to boot from recovery usb and still get the same messages

10. Koala

Koala Private E-2

Go into the bios and change the boot order. It seems that it's configured to boot up from the network first. You have to put the Hard disk to boot up first.

Try that first.

Good luck!

11. Koala

Koala Private E-2

I didn't get this message. If you already tried to change the boot order and get assured that the network boot up isn't before the hard drive. Maybe you should try to restore the bios settings to default.

12. d8mop

d8mop Private E-2

Cheers pal, tried all that and still no joy!

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try downloading Linux Mint ISO file. Then use LinuxLiveUSB creator to put the ISO onto your usb stick. (When using LinuxLiveUSB: For step 3 persistence just put something like 500mb if you have a 1gb or larger USB stick++Step 4 check the first two boxes and uncheck the third box) Then try to boot from the USB stick. Don't choose to install just see if you can run Linux off the USB stick.

I've had good luck with LinuxLiveCD booting just about any USB bootable PC. [I just want to make sure that you are using a USB stick that is indeed bootable. I'm not sure what recovery software you put on the stick or how you wrote it to make it bootable; so I think it is worth a shot to try this software combo to see if it will boot from the USB stick]

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Your posts at #1 and #7 are showing that the aspire is trying to boot from a networked drive (pxe is the key here). Since you do not have that, it shoots up an error. You need to go into the BIOS again and move the networked drive option to the very last location or disable that option if the BIOS allows you to. This will force the computer to see the other boot devices (internal hard drive, or USB attached device).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds