Major Motherboard problem for Major Geeks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sobeit, Jan 13, 2005.

1. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    I have just built a pc based on the spec below.
    The problem is that it will not boot unless the jumpers are set to overclock the pro to run at 2300 instead of the standard 2200.
    It is very unstable with the screen going blank after various amounts of time.
    The monitor light is still green, sometimes, and sometimes it goes orange, like stand by mode.
    I think it may be a overheating problem but I have tried a large desk fan blowing directly into the case, sides off, and it still shut down 5 minutes into a game.
    I have increased the cpu volts by 5% to compensate for overclock.
    I have also done this.
    1.Disable fastwrite, (apparently can cause probs and gives no particular performance boost).
    2.Changed the fast command to fast from normal. (Apparently, the ultra setting is very unstable).
    3.Changed the DIMM voltage to +0.1 as there are reports that it is undervolted.

Thought i'd got it.
    Left the comp downloading so as to give it something to do.
    Came back 2 hours later, great, still downloading.
    Came back for dinner, the monitor light had turned orange.
    Thing is, the computer itself, ie, the psu, graphics card fan etc were still functioning, as though it had gone into some kind of sleep mode but pressing keys and using the mouse doesn't wake it up.
    Only the reset button does this.
    It appears to last longer now but still goes blank.
    Anyone know of any issues or have any clues??
    Cheers.
    Crucial 512mb RAM (pc 3200)
    Ati Radeon 9550 256mb Graphics
    Seagate 160gb HDD

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hmm...an AMD XP 3200+ with Barton core is set to run at 2200MHz by default so changing the BIOS settings to run at 2300 (assuming you are using the clock multiplier settings?) so that it boots, didn't make sense to me.

Are you positive you got a true XP3200+ ?
    It does sound like CPU overheating, whether due to inproper thermal grease applied, lack of it, inadequate heatsink or also bad CPU/RAM speed settings in the BIOS.
    (also check with Gigabyte's web site to see if you would benefit from a BIOS update, it could be a known issue with that particular mobo/CPU setup?).

Additionally, try resettings the BIOS settings or use the 'Recommended fail-safe defaults' setting.
    Try changing the RAM slot (also even though KT600 chipset supports the PC3200 DDR SDRAM type, it is noted to cause problems on some of the mobos using KT600 chipset and user who used PC2700 type seemed to have better overall compatibility/stability with that systems running on KT600 chipset. So you might want to check on this by using a PC2700 type RAM if possible, but the brand you are using is one of the best brands nonetheless).

If none of these help or make a difference, I'd recommend going to a bare-minimum Hardware setup to see if the problem is HW based or OS/Application based.
    A bare HW setup would commonly be consist of:
    Case/PSU, CPU, CPU heatsink/fan, RAM and Video card...boot to BIOS setup and get in the setup, don't do anything but let it just sit there...see what happens after 15mins, 30mins, 2hours, etc. If the problem doesn't occur and you can boot fine that you know the main components are OK.
    Repost to let us all know if still no luck but if you try all these you should have experience some difference. ;)

3. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Could he try and underclock the pc3200 to get the same affect?

Rick

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Absolutely Rick, that would be my first suggestion even though he stated for some odd reason he had to overclock it to be able to boot? That part never made too much sense but may be he forgot to mention something that would make a difference. Either way, if it is a true XP3200 that should be running at 2.2GHz (2200MHz) and if he needs to over or under clock it to get it to work, there is something wrong with this picture....

5. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Yea I understand but I am confused about the jumper he mentioned to overclock from 2200 to 2300, I guess he means a fsb jumper but that should be set to its highest setting 200, and then properly set in bios for his processor.

I wonder if he is just setting a jumper wrong, guess we'll see when he posts back.

Rick

6. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the replies.
    In the beginning I set the computer up as standard.
    Just inserted the cpu but got no joy, couldn't get into the bios, nothing.
    Looked on the web and someone had similar grief and said that when they set the motherboard clock speed jumpers to 11.5x from auto detect, it booted.
    I tried this and hey presto it booted, I thought that was it.
    Now I get this random reboot or dead screen with the green light still on the monitor or dead screen with orange sleep light on the monitor yet everything in the computer is still whiring away.
    I thought it was overheating but surely a desktop fan blowing directly into the case should of eliminated this???
    I need help with the speed settings timings etc of RAM and cpu.
    Hope you can help, keep it simple(ish) please.
    Cheers

7. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Does any of this help??

CPU Properties
    CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2300 MHz (5.75 x 400)
    CPU Alias Barton
    CPU Stepping A2
    L1 Code Cache 64 KB
    L1 Data Cache 64 KB
    L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info
    Package Type 453 Pin PGA
    Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm
    Transistors 54.3 million
    Process Technology 6Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu
    Die Size 101 mm2
    Core Voltage 1.65 V
    I/O Voltage 1.6 V

Motherboard Properties
    Motherboard ID 08/27/2004-KT600-8237-6A6LYG0SC-00
    Motherboard Name Gigabyte GA-7VT600 1394

Front Side Bus Properties
    Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties
    Bus Type DDR SDRAM
    Bus Width 64-bit
    Real Clock 200 MHz (DDR)
    Effective Clock 400 MHz
    Bandwidth 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
    Bus Type VIA V-Link
    Bus Width 8-bit
    Real Clock 67 MHz (ODR)
    Effective Clock 533 MHz
    Bandwidth 533 MB/s

8. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Here is my confusion:

How did you change the settings in the BIOS if you were not even able to get in the BIOS initially? Clarify that please. If you got the correct components with the stated speeds/types you initially listed then I'd think one of them is either not correct or simply bad.
    Again if you can get in the BIOS, check with the mobo manufacturer's site to see if this was a known issue with your mobo's version with using the type of CPU and RAM you have....update BIOS if that was the case.
    ... Doby might have different thoughts, but that is I will say for now.

9. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

mmmmmm.I thought the xp3200+ ran at a clock ratio of 11 and fsb of 200 =22oo. arent the multiplyers also locked on these chips?

10. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

yes they are. you're right, it should be 200x11 since 400 mhz is simply ddr and not the actual speed.

11. Doby

Doby Sergeant

I agree with Turcoloco, check with gigabyte for compatability issues with the cpu and that board/bios version, check the numbers on the cpu with those listed at Amd's site, .

none of this seems right

12. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Hi all.
    Turcoloco;
    The way I got into the bios was by overclocking the cpu via the motherboard clock ratio jumpers. By default, all six are off = Auto.
    When I changed them to 1 = off 2,3,4,5,6 = on, this changed the clock ratio from 11x ( standard 2200 cpu speed ) to 11.5x (2300).
    The computer then booted allowing access to the bios.

The fsb on my motherboard is either 100mhz or auto detect.
    The fsb cannot be set via the motherboard to, say, run a 3200 at 333mhz.
    The motherboard is definately supposed to be compatible with the Athlon 3200.
    System info tells me this, x86 Family 6 Model 10 Stepping 0 AuthenticAMD ~2310mhz, about my processor.

I am wondering now, wether to try setting the clock ratio jumpers to all 6 on, making it 11x and bypassing the auto detect, and then clearing the cmos and see if this works. Perhaps, as with many things, auto detect is crap at auto detecting.
    If this is the way to go, do I need to load anything else from the bios, eg safe settings, or just leave it as is??
    Cheers. :) :p

13. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

O.k.
    Me again.
    Another twist.
    I have tried the settings on the jumpers to manually detect the cpu clock at 11x. Same grief.
    At the boot up screen, after the 'Detecting IDE drives' message, I get;

Warning!! Some changes in chipset or clock settings caused boot failure.
    Defaults for these settings have been loaded.

I can get to the bios from here, but, if I press F1 to continue, I get the POST, then, at the next screen I get a cursor blinking away and that is it, hung??

So I tried underclocking down to 10.5x, it booted just fine, it is only the standard settings for this cpu that wont load.
    Wierd or what??
    I am now going to see how long it lasts at these settings.
    Any clues, let me know.
    Cheers.

14. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

yes, you should manually set the jumpers/switches to 200mhz and 11x. Just try it and see if it works, leave the other settings be. if it doesn't work you'd obviously have to revert settings to the ones that work.

15. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Well, I have been playing MOHAA online for the past 30 minutes.
    No issues at all.
    After all this messing about, it appears that Gigabytes claim that this board supports a 3200 Athlon is a load of swear words!!
    Overclocked it's unstable but running at 2100 everything seems fine.
    Nice feeling paying for a 2200mhz cpu and having to drop 100mhz 'cause someone doesn't know what they are doing!!! :rolleyes:
    If anybody sees anything else let me know, in the meantime I will phone the shop that told me this board would work and ask for something that supports what I paid for, or wait for a bios update from Gigabyte, I wont hold my breath.
    Thanks for the replies. ;) :cool:

16. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

17. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Sobeit, one think I also notice quite a bit is a particular make/model mobo could be compatible with certain CPUs but at a specific revision of the mobo.
    So not 2 same make and model mobos have the same functionality, that is why I urge you to check rev. of your mobo and the BIOS version, then visit the mobo manufacturer's site to see if that mobo did support your CPU and also check on available BIOS updates, read about the updates and what they fix before you download and flash your existing one, but a successful BIOS update in never be a bad thing....that is all I will say.
    Good Luck. ;)

18. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Phatsta.
    Thanks for the link.
    Very interesting.
    If you look again, you will see that the Athlon 3200 xp has a - by it, not an 'ok', indicating that they are still testing it.
    I have been given the wrong info at the shop as I specifically asked for a board that supports a 3200!!! :rolleyes:
    All that messing about for nothing.
    Ah well, I have learnt much along the way. :)
    Cheers.

19. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

I've heard good things about gigabyte and I've never used one but their website is horrible ... I did a search there just now for socket 478 and 939s, socket As came up:rolleyes: ... I remember more than a year ago I was considering buying either this soyo board or a gigabyte and went to gigabytes website to see if my CPU was compatible ... I couldn't even find the board I was looking at on tigerdirect ... and when I did find a similar board the specs were laid out so vaguely I had no idea as to it's compatibility ... needless to say i got the soyo ... anyway just my opinion of gigabyte and why I won't buy them untill they revamp their website

20. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Dont blame you.
    I sent a question about this board 5 days ago, they say they have improved their response time, I'm still waiting!!
    Asus, here I come (I think) :)

21. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Correct, sorry I didn't look close enough.

22. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I've built with nothing other than giganyte the last 4 years and I've never been disappointed. We're talking close to 300 systems. Haven't got any complaints about anything mobo related either. Well I think I've changed 1 board, but that was because I had misunderstodd the guy, he wanted a faster fsb. As always you have to get the right stuff for what you're building. Myself I'm using the GA7VA board and it's fantastic. There's never any problem in swapping cpu's, done so a number of times.

the website may be hard to navigate, but that doesn't make gigabyte a bad mobo maker.

23. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The only problem I had was when my power supply went south, and took the mobo with it.

24. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

that's not unusual. just before the psu fries it sends lik double the output of what it's suppose to, therefore the mobo froes as well. it sucks, and you can't even be sure if you buy only reputable brands, it'll still happen from time to time.

25. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I know, fortunately, my new mobo arrives tomorrow, and I'll be very happy then.

26. sobeit

sobeit Staff Sergeant

Phatsta.
    Nice to hear they are reliable boards at least.
    If they are good then it shoudn't be long before a bios update arrives, I have written them to ask.
    You are sooooo right about the psu, thats why I had to build this in the first place.
    My psu took the mobo, cpu AND hdd.
    Nightmare!!!!

27. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Yeah, at least to my experience, they're the best. I would think a new bios is on it's way, they're usually not too slow with that. I sure hope so anyway!

Good luck, I hope it'll work for you pretty soon.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds