Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to network.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jemar707, Apr 20, 2006.

1. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Please forgive me if I am in the wrong area for this post. I have read mutliple posts and can't seem to find something that addresses my problem.

Running XP on both PC and laptop. I have 3 devices for which I might have something setup incorreclty. Highspeed cable is conn. to my modem, which is connected to my Vonage modem for phone, then connecected to my linkys wireless router. Everything works perfected when I have my laptop connected directly to the network. Print and file sharing is fine. However, when I disconnect from the network and use my wireless connection, I can use internet, but have no access to file and print sharing... when I try to access any of my network places or try to print I get the error "\\... is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the network administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found."

I am new to this home networking stuff, so I am getting confused reading all the posts, if anyone can point me in the right direction, I would very much appreciate.

2. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Also, I forgot to mention -- when I first setup the network, the file and print sharing worked when I was using wireless from my laptop. It was about a week or two later I started having problems; maybe just a setting somewhere that got changed??

3. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

HELP Anyone?? Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to network.

HELP Anyone?? Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to network.

4. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

If you go in to network connections its in the control panel and right click on your wireless network connection and click properties. Make Sure that the file and print sharing for microsoft networks is ticked and all the other boxes are aswell. apply this and see if it works...................

5. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Thanks Mark. I checked; it is ticked. Any other suggetions greatly appreciated!

6. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

what did you do after sitting on the couch to make it stop working? Did you restart your PC? Did you rename your PC's. I am curious why it just stopped working again for you

7. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Nothing at all... I was idle for a little while, that was it. Then it just stopped again.

8. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

Like yesterday, could it be that the network ID's wern't seeing each other? You searched for all conections, and it worked.
    If you go to control panel > network > Identification
    on yor desk top call it something like MAIN (under computer name )
    on yor Laptop callit somthing like Second ( under computer name )

Also on both be sure that they are both ...( under WORKGROUP) called workgroup )

Also what do you see in control panel > network > config?

9. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

Ok - They are in the same workgroup, each has a unique name. Does it matter what the actual names are? Workgroup name is VASHOMENETWORK on both. Desktop names is JMMDesktop and Laptop name is JMMLaptop. Now even when I am directly connected, doesn't show both in the 'View Workgroup Computers'.

I am so confused.

10. Mark Stoker

Mark Stoker Private E-2

Forgot to ask .................are you using a router or is this peer to peer?

11. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

I have two routers: one wireless and the other is for my VoIP.

12. jemar707

jemar707 Private E-2

FIXED!! Re: Print File Sharing not working when connected wireless to network.

All fixed... I think. For now at least, I am back on the couch, file and print sharing to my heart's delight. I installed an updated driver for my network card. hmmmmnnn... rockin and rolling now with no troubles.

Thank you to all who helped with troubleshooting!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds