Dell lost mouse and keyboard now seeks Geek Knight in Shining Armor

Discussion in 'Software' started by totalconfusion, Jan 14, 2008.

1. totalconfusion

totalconfusion Private E-2

The computer: Dell Inspiron 9300, OS Windows XP Media Center 2005...of course it did not come with any CD's.

The original problem was that the computer no longer recognized that it had a DVD drive. It didn't even show up under "my computer"...nothing at all. I searched and found the following solution:

Go to start, run and type regedit. Locate the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    Locate the values on the right for UpperFilters, and/or LowerFilters. Remove these values, then reboot your computer.

So I...believing that I was geeky enough to sucessfully execute this fix...followed the above instructions and rebooted.

Upon reboot when I put a DVD in the drive it worked...YAY!!!! But now neither the mouse or keyboard work AT ALL. The only thing that I can do with the computer is to push the power button to turn it on or off. Oh...and I can put a DVD in and watch it come up on the screen!

Am I totally screwed? :cry

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Are you still having this issue?

If so can you by anychance boot into Safe Mode, or is KB and Mouse not working at POST?

If you can get to Safe Mode, check device manager for any yellow ! marks, if so what are they?

3. totalconfusion

totalconfusion Private E-2

Thank you so much for answering my post. Yes I still have this issue. The mouse and keyboard do not work at all with Windows...no matter what mode it is in. Keyboard works in BIOS. I also ran a diagnostic before starting Windows and there are no problems with the mouse and keyboard hardware.

4. Frontline RACING

Frontline RACING Private E-2

I have the same problem, has anyone solved it yet please let me know im really pi***d of now with it been two weeks and no luck

5. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You are replying to a thread that is over a year old. It would be better to start your own thread and explain more clearly what your problems are. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds