Windows service pack 3/explorer 8 update?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trivia, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Trivia

Trivia Private E-2

I have Windows XP, and tried to update to service pack 3 and microsoft internet explorer 8. Somewhere there was an error, and now my computer (an old dell 2400 series) only goes to a log in screen (I don't have a log in screen normally) and when I log in, I get my background only. With an error message that says explorer.exe has encountered an error and will not load anything on my computer, like the icons, the tray, start menu, nothing but the background. How can I get my computer back to where it was before the update screwed it up?
    Thanks for any help I get!!

Trivia :)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

When you install a service pack, it creates a restore point. I would suggest you first try to restore to a point before you attempted to install SP3 which you may be able to do in safe mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds