USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abs_UK, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abs_UK

Abs_UK Private E-2

Hi,

I'm running XP Pro and have been for about 2 years now, everything was working fine until I got a USB Bluetooth dongle and tried to install it. The install process went fine, but when it finished, none of my USB devices would work (including the new dongle)
    I assumed it must be the software, which I then uninstalled, but still no change, nothing happens on the USB front. Which is a bit of a problem considering I have a USB broadband modem. I have tried a couple of other devices in the ports and none of them work, I've had a look in the device manager, and it's reporting that everything is working alright and that the USB Root hub is functioning as expected. I then tried doing a fresh install of XP hoping that would solve the problem, but it didn't, there's been no change. Any suggestions what to try next ?

Thanks

Abs

2. sclevenger

sclevenger Private E-2

ABS,

Di dyou ever get a resolution to this problem?

I have a SIMILAR problem (was an MP3 Player that seemed to mess up the USB ports for my PC, though).

Shell

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

sclevenger please start a new thread on your problem as you said your problem is only similar, plus give us as much info as possible, including things like.....

Windows version, including service packs?
    What is the brand of MP3 player and model number?
    What type of PC is this a branded one ( HP, DELL etc ) including again model number or if its a home build what motherboard you have?

In Device Manager are there any yellow ! marks by the hardware if so what?

Tell us what steps you have already taken to resolve this?

plus have a read of this http://forums.majorgeeks.com/announcement.php?f=22

and PS.. Welcome to Majorgeeks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds