Can't access any google sites?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by breaker012, Aug 19, 2008.

1. breaker012

breaker012 Private E-2

Hi,
    I have been having trouble using google. None of the sites (search, gmail, maps, etc.) seem to work when I use any of the websites. I tried the "ping" method from this thread (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=143456) to get the IP and then I was able to go into the google main page. BUt then none of the links there took me to the sites. I keep getting the same error saying:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

I recently had a malware issue and I just finished cleaning it and I am hoping it had nothing to do with that. (http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=167053)

Thanks in advance.

2. breaker012

breaker012 Private E-2

I forgot to mention that some days I do get access to google and gmail and the google maps with no problem, but some other days I just can't get into them. I am also using a wireless connection to a cable modem and running Windows XP. However ther is another computer using the same wireless connection with Vista and it can access google site without a problem.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If intermittent then is your Windows version fully upto date?

Delete again your temps and cookies with CCleaner as you should have that installed as part of the Malware routine cleanup steps.

Maybe a bad DNS entry on the resolver cache, so run this, click Start > Run and type CMD and hit enter then at the prompt type ipconfig /flushdns ( note the space between g and / ) do this from the admin logon and without IE or any browser open.

Try Firefox and see if you have same issues your having with IE.

4. breaker012

breaker012 Private E-2

Hi Halo, I recently changed my Antivirus to McAfee and the vundo problem stopped and I currently can access google sites without a problem since then. If it ever happens again I will try your suggestion and see how it works.
    Thanks

5. breaker012

breaker012 Private E-2

Hi Halo, I forgot to mention that my windows has been always fully up to date. I have still been having some malware problems, and I uninstalled McAfee because I didn't uninstall Windows One Care before I had Mcafee installed. I started having problems accessing google again and I Tried the steps you suggested but that didn't do the trick.
    Any ideas why this could be? Could it still be the malware issue? I haven't had any alerts in the past couple of days. (see the thread below for more details)

Thanks

6. breaker012

breaker012 Private E-2

Ok I tried Firefox's latest version and it won't let me into google either (See Screensot). I started having the problem again since yesterday along with some malware alerts, I'm guessing it is related.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds