CPU death?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DocCountry, Apr 11, 2007.

1. DocCountry

DocCountry Private E-2

I was trying my hand a building a computer myself. I had to replace a montherboard. That was easy enough so I bought another MB and started from scratch. I used the same MB but bought a Pentium instead of a Celeron.
    It would not post. Thinking I may have a bad MB , I took the working celeron out of its computer and put the P4 in, it would not POST. I have a bad cpu right? well I put the celeron back in and now it will not POST.
    could I have damage the MB with a bad cpu........ twice?

dc
    :eek:

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Post details of the processors best would be the SL numbers printed on them.
    Also details of the motherboards.

Its likely that the bus speeds for the P? and the Celeron are different, so the motherboard has to be set to suit in each case. The system won't start if the speeds are wrong. Unless the boards are very old the voltage differences should be automatically recognised and set by the motherboard and not a problem.

Studio T

3. DocCountry

DocCountry Private E-2

the Pentium is SL7PM
    3.00GHZ/1M/800 PHILLIPINES
    the motherboard is a PCCHIPS M963GV ( which says 533 buss, 800 with OC That could be the problem I suppose. but shouldnt something to start? even the BIOS screen? else how would you be able to OverClock in the first place.
    the Celeron is 3.2ghz/256/533 COSTA RICA
    SL7NY

When I put the Celeron back in its original computer it will not start like it did before. I reset the bios with the jumper and still nothing.

all the fans start turning and the power key held for 5 secs will shut it back down.

thanks again.
    dc

The Motherboards are identical.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

So the P4 has an 800 bus and the Celeron has a 533 bus, I confirmed your data vis a vis the SL numbers.

The final processor speed is given by the bus speed times the multiplier
    The multiplier is programmed (hardwired) into the processor and read by the bios as startup.

So the last processor in both boards was the P4.

Turning now to the very skimpy manual for your motherboard,
    As far as I can see, no bus jumpers are mentioned, but the spec is 400/533 bus. The 800 is said to be accessible by overclocking but the only way to access this seems to be to go into bios and set the cpu parameters to manual not auto.

So on both your board you have reset the bios to automatically attempt to run the P4. The celeron should work in both boards so long as you reset the bios to default. Do it with the jumper several times. Then if that does not help try taking the battery out for half an hour or so.

I don't know the motherboard, try posting in the overclocking section for info on reaching 800.

Studio T

5. DocCountry

DocCountry Private E-2

OK, pulled the battery, left the jumper on reset.
    Different day , rested not frusrated eyes I see the ram was not well seated. so jumper back and battery in, ram seated and the old Celeron booted back up.

I do not think I want to mess with the 800mhz and overclocking this MB even if it will get me to the set up screen, Can I hope that the CPU is ok and if I get another MB that supports this chip, it will work? any suggestions for a MB brand with a decent manual? 478 socket and 800 MHz P4 support. I will get another 533 chip for this MB, if I decide to use it in the future.

thanks
    dc

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I see no reason to suppose that the P4 is not servicable, from what you have said.
    When shopping make sure the memory for the new board is PC2 6400(DDR2) or PC6400 as appropriate.

Studio T

7. DocCountry

DocCountry Private E-2

Thank you.

Dc

End thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds