Windows XP Professional x64

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bladesofhalo, May 16, 2006.

1. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

I want to install Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Trial Software Kit but I have Windows XP home so will that mean imma lose all my files and data cause i want to try out Microsoft's 120 day trial and if I like it ill buy it but I dont want to lose all my files will this happen?:confused:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Options

1. Backup all your important files and clean install XP64, once the trial has finished or you dont like it or it doesnt work well ( driver wise ) reinstall XP 32bit and copy your files back

2. Either by installing a 2nd HD or a 2nd Partition, Dual Boot XP Home an XP64, Barb gives some good advice here http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/64bit/bowman_05nov07.mspx

3. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Ok I got 2 drives on my pc Drive C where Xp Home is installed and Drive D where my recovery partition is but drive D has no more room can i just dual boot from Drive C or do I need a separate drive?

4. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Besides I can just download the files I need again :)

5. sa0959

sa0959 Private E-2

I just bought an HP dv5120 which came installed with Windows XP Home Edition. I had XP Pro on my previous notebook and figured I could just install XP Pro on my new one. Well, it installed alright...Now I have both OS on the same computer. The XP Pro apparently deleted my recovery partition on Home making a PC recovery impossible which I need to do to get the XP Pro off the computer since it is going to cause me so many issues. I called HP and they said that I should have made recovery cds, but I didn't know I had to do so since pc recovery was on the hard drive. Can anyone offer advice on how to get the pc recovery back? Do I somehow need to try to retrieve that deleted partition? I can get the cds from HP, but of course they charge you and money is tight these days. Please advise. Thanks

6. Bladesofhalo

Bladesofhalo MajorGeek

Well if you deleted the recovery partition then there is probably no other choice but to buy the cds from HP, I made some but i didnt label them but im pretty sure I could restore from those cds. The cds are 12 bucks, might be your only hope.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds