Need vista drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by splitt3r, Aug 30, 2006.

1. splitt3r

splitt3r You are now the victim of a drive by title change

I am using the Hawking HWP54GR Hi-Speed Wireless-G PCI Card, the manufacturer doesn't have any vista compatable drivers on thier website and I plan to install windows vista RC1, are there any vista compatable drivers for my wireless card?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I think your just going to have to try it an see if Vista picks up drivers from its own database, as I have searched both the net and beta newsgroups for you and no-one seems to have that hardware.

Now as that is a wireless device is from a company that uses one of the major wireless and comms companies chips on it if you use something like Everest, does it tell you whos chip it uses.

Could be any one of these

then you "may" find one from that company thats compatible.

3. splitt3r

sorry i never replied, I had serious problems with vista, it only partially installed then got an error, I decided to just wait for a retail version with all the problems I have been having, i probably need to reformat. But incase I need new drivers in the future, it is a ralink chipset.

4. DavidGP

No Probs

Did it fail during the unpacking/decompressing files and the install of files wit a file copy error or similar?

IF so re-burn the ISO but only use a speed of no more than 2.5x as many have found that using high burning speeds will cause install failures.

I have seen some Ralink drivers floating around.

5. splitt3r

I got a new version of vista, RC1, it is burning right now, I forgot to turn down the burn speed first, hope it doesn't get messed up, But back to the original ancient topic... drivers? my card is the hawking wireless-g newtwork card, revision r. it has a ralink chipset.

6. DavidGP

32bit or 64bit Vista your installing?

dependent on the chipset used in the wireless many are having sucess with these drivers, but thats no guarentee that you will have sucess, but the RT2500 set are the ones in most of the latest HW devices to use Ralink
    http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm

7. splitt3r

64 bit, i will check those out later today. I guess I have to do a clean install, I have backups, but that really sucks.

8. DavidGP

Vista 5728 does allow the upgrade route from XP, kinda hit and miss for some BUT worth a try as its only about a 45min+ upgrade install and if that fails then you'd be doing a clean install which takes around 30mins.

9. splitt3r

the one I have(5600) wont let me, I tried installing pre-RC1 upgrade a month or 2 ago and it failed, so there are corrupted vista files on my XP machine:mad:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds