Laptop Refusing To Boot. Please help!

Discussion in 'Software' started by breatheadventure, Feb 24, 2015.

1. breatheadventure

breatheadventure Private E-2

Hey everyone!

A friend of mine recently ran into some computer trouble and asked me if I could take a look at it for her. Her laptop (Acer Aspire 7750) suddenly stopped working and now refuses to boot. When the power button is pressed, the fan engages, the hard drive spins, but after about 20 seconds the laptop shuts back down (I'll upload a video of the issue).

I've read online that this may be an issue with CMOS/BIOS, but no one really provides any solutions. I can't seem to find help anywhere and I was wondering if anyone could offer their thoughts as to what might be the problem here? I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Here's the video of an attempted boot - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhbakfgbIN0

2. Tonyrush

Tonyrush Corporal

If you remove one stick of the RAM memory from the computer, then turn it on, it should give you the option of going into the CMOS setup menu. While in there, reset to the default settings. When you see that the unit starts working again, turn it off. Replace the memory that you removed earlier. Start the computer again, and there's a good chance that this will solve your issues. That's what I would do if I had the same issues going on.

3. breatheadventure

I really appreciate the response man. Unfortunately the screen doesn't come on, I probably should have mentioned that in the original post! I've tried testing both RAM sticks independently so I'm fairly certain it isn't a RAM issue. I'm starting to worry it may be a fried motherboard. Any other ideas would be really appreciated!

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Can you hook it up to another monitor?

5. breatheadventure

I tried hooking the computer up to an external monitor, but still nothing showed.

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Then it is sounding like a fried motherboard.

7. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Before you get a new System Board, try replacing the CMOS battery first. You'd be surprised at what replacing that $2 — $4 item has solved.

8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

following on mdonah's advice - check @ the manufacturee's web for any topics or procedures. Some may be a simple snap in type battery, some may be a battery pack with a 2-wire connector plug in, some may be soldered in place. Also some may be easier to get at while others may require cracking open the case. do some searching for your model # and cmos changing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds