Win 7 updates loaded, then reverted

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skysarge, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Another day fighting computer glitches.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

OP = Win 7

Tried to sign on T'bird, would not load, error "did not find Win XP.com" (I do not use XP any longer)
    Searched, could not find solution for problem.

Ran complete Advance System Care 8. Lengthy process.
    System Care found "fixed" several errors.

Windows TS came up, ran that. Another lengthy process, left program running, unattended.
    Returned, program finished, computer needed reboot (will not reboot except manually)

Reboot brought up Windows updating program. Showed 15,000 + updates.
    Program "updated" all, then reverted updates citing error. Another reboot, but unable to find what "error(s) caused failure of updates.

I am furiously frustrated, having spent more time solving problems that working with computer.:banghead:crybaby:mad:tired:confused

Sarge (cleaning shotgun for quite possible use.)

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey Sarge, shotgun idea sounds reasonable to be. Have you tried a System File Check ? I'm sure you know how to do it but I'm including this anyway.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

You try running T'bird in compatability mode for XP and as admin?

4. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

That brings up "User Ross"

5. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

That brought up the messages from Nick & DOA

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You'll have to explain post #4 and #5. I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Is this Win 7 computer the one that someone upgraded from XP to 7 for you?
    List brand, model, and exactly what version and bitedness of Win 7 is on the computer.

7. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Those were replies and what came pup when following suggestions given.
    Systems check looked like an old MS Dos, with "User Ross" coming up
    When trying to run Y'bird in XP compatability mode the postings of DOA and Nick T were displayed
    Yes, this is the same computer.

Hewlett-Packard HP dx5150 SFF
    Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
    Processor a
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready

Main Circuit Board b
    Board: 09AC
    Bus Clock: 199 megahertz
    BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 1.18 08/01/2006

Any other info you need?

8. plodr

If you are not Ross and there is still a user on there by that name, your best shot at getting a working Windows 7 computer is either buying a refurb that has been cleaned or wiping the HP and doing a clean install of Windows 7. (That will be next to impossible now. All downloads of Win 7 have been closed except one at Windows download run by MS. When you put the serial number in for your Win 7, it will probably tell you to contact the manufacturer. I know because I've been helping someone running Win 7 Pro 64 on an HP computer and he was not able to download Win 7 so we could repair his computer).

My choice: buy the refurb. Roll the HP back to XP, pull it off the internet and use it with no internet access. I did that for my husband. He has an XP and Win 2K computer that he does work on but his refurbed Win 7 is used on the internet.

Right click My Computer and select properties. In the box that opens in the 2nd section, find installed RAM. I suspect you are working with 1MB of RAM. The computer shipped with only 512MB of RAM.
    Windows 7 should have 4MB of RAM to run decently. I'm not even sure that model can be upgraded to 4MB RAM.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  9. plodr

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If Win 7 updates loaded, then reverted and showed 15K+ updates (there are not 15k updates for Win7) then suspect malware (check for malware on the PC) as malware will cause a Windows update or Service Pack update to revert back on install.

Also try the Windows Update fixes HERE

Also running apps like Advance System Care 8 and them fixing what they fine may also break things in the registry or delete system files that are needed, cleaning software is to be used with caution and not as a daily fix all IMHO.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds