Why has majorgeeks stopped recommending AVG?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lord lucan, Feb 26, 2015.

1. lord lucan

lord lucan Private First Class

It was always in the top place for antivirus now its not even mentioned in the prevention pages. Why?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

We all have our likes and dislikes. Avast! Antivirus free has served me well but, it's also losing popularity.

Here's a link to independent Tests, Reviews, and Reports by AV-Comparatives.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

BTW On MajorGeeks, if you look at All-In-One Anti-Virus Suites, and click on Rating or Popularity, you'll see AVG AntiVirus is no.1.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/sortpopularity/all_in_one_anti_virus_suites.html

And on MajorGeeks Top Freeware Picks > Anti-Virus Protection, it's no.3.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/majorgeeks_top_freeware_picks.html

3. lord lucan

Interesting. I have used it for years and yeeears and find it unobtrusive, although it does hog ram yes. But i expect they all do.
    I only noticed because I bought a new laptop and had a quick look whats hot on here. AVG was always in the 3 that the Malaware forum had as recommendations, now its gone from that page. So it was recommended.

4. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

lord lucan, a lot rides also on your surfing habits. I know someone that has used Lavasoft for years and has never has a virus or problem with the program. Also your system specs dictate a lot on how a program will run on your system compared to another system. I too used Avast until this newer UI slowed down Chrome to a crawl. I install an older version of Avast and updated the definitions and engine and it worked fine, but I settled with Bitdefender Free. I also noticed that the new Panda update has caused slow down on my laptop. The AV Comparatives are a great guide, but that's all they really are is a guide, you and your system determines what and how a program works. If it's not broke, don't fix it. Use what works and feels best for you, and if there's ever a problem, we're all here. :)

5. lord lucan

cheers mate. Yeh i was just surprised to not see it thats all. Ive used it on xp pro, win 7 and now 8.1 and never had any issues, especially slowing down issues so i guess im either lucky or have good karma ;)

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

I've used ESET, AVG, Giant (now currently Defender), currently running Avast premier. Used it last year, and liked it enough for this year. But, now it is nagging me to get other features that require me to pay for, and I'm thinking of dumping it for something else. But, nice thing is that avast is only using about 16 MB or ram at this moment.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds