websites

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by impey, Dec 19, 2005.

1. impey

impey Private E-2

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

yep I can connect to all of those, do you get any errors DNS etc?

Have you done the easy first steps of dumping the temp internet folder data and cookies incase you have an errant file.

Also I would definatly do some antispyware checks.

3. impey

impey Private E-2

Hi,

well the full scale of the problem is that I can't sign in to MSN Messenger (any version). So I was using the e-messenger until last week but thats also not working. The weirdest thing is that Yahoo Messenger works fine, no problems at all. I have tried re-booting the system, re-installing msn, clearing cookies etc. I have also tried getting onto those sites by typing the IP addresses in, but no success. I really have no idea what to do now :((

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just before I aim you in the direction of the Spyware forum and its guides on checking for malware etc

download this and check your HOSTS file for anything other than this ( now you maybe running some Antispyware ( Spybot S&D leaves a whole hosts of sites in the HOSTs as a blocking option so you dont get hijacked so those maybe normal IF you have Spybot installed )

http://majorgeeks.com/HOSTS_Manager_d4568.html

run it and the default HOSTS file should look like this
    as you say seems strange only MSN references are not working.

5. impey

impey Private E-2

I've just tried msn.it and msn.in and they both work. msn.com, msn.co.uk and msn.de don't seem to work, it says problem establishing the server. I've been using Yahoo Messenger without any problems for about a week now, but still no luck with MSN!

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Did you follow the instructions in Halo's post?

7. impey

impey Private E-2

Yep, looked the same to me

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds